Top 20 signings under Wenger

Wenger often gets picked up for his record in having a great eye for diminutive creative silky midfielders and a shit one for central defenders, but as someone said last night, in Koscielny / Mustafi he’s found a pairing that’s looking likely to be our best in a decade and could yet both get in a ‘Wenger XI’ of the future done in a few years time.

I wouldn’t have Koscielny in mine yet (and obviously not Mustafi) but it’s very close already.

IN ORDER

Diaby
Henry
Özil
Vieira
Pires
Ljungberg
van Persie
Fábregas
Overmars
Sánchez
Koscielny
Petit
Sol Campbell
Rosicky
Santi
Gilberto
Hleb
Arteta
Kolo
Cech
Xhaka

Just me then.

You blasphemous unappreciative cunts.

Surprised there’s not many mentions of Nicolas Anelka. Granted he wasn’t an Arsenal player for very long, but his return as a signing in terms of the club’s success was massive. He had a serious part to play in the double winning 97-98 season. Was a brilliant coup for only £500K. Was probably one of Wenger’s greatest sales too lol.

In terms of on pitch contributions I rate Santi ahead of Ozil

£15m (?) for Santi has to be one of the best transfers too in terms of cash spent.

Top 20 for me would be

Vieira
Pires
Overmars
Gilberto
Lauren
Petit
Van Persie
Cesc
Kolo
Ozil
Sanchez
Freddie
Kos
Sagna
Sol
Lehmann
Anelka
Wiltord
Nasri
Arshavin

Cant believe Adams isnt in some peoples list of best 11

Quite like the balance of my team. Pace and power in midfield and up front speaks for itself

Went for Lauren at RB as i just think he adds more steel to the team but also gets forward very well. Had to have Cashley at LB as he is the best LB we have had

2 Likes

Agreed, although I can kind of understand it if you only started watching us in say 2000/2001 or after.

The only justifiable reason for not putting Adams in Wenger’s greatest 11 is if you never watched him play. Adams and Campbell for me at CB.

I first watched Arsenal in 1998, but I really got into it around 99/2000. Don’t really remember a lot of Adams, that’s why I didn’t pick him. All the others I’ve seen play a lot.

For me I never seen Adams play ever. Only seen him on the old premier league years shows on Sky but still had to pick him as he’s a legendary arsenal player and probably our best ever defender.

In a Wenger top 20 or Greatest XI, not Arsenal, if perfectly reasonable to pick Toure or maybe even Koscielny over Adams imo.

Hardest choice was Vieira’s CM partner, Wenger has had so many great midfielders over the years to choose from.

Went for Cesc because he was so good 2006-2011, a very long period at the top as the best #10 in England.

To be fair he would get in more if it wasn’t so unanimous in that position.

He’d be competing with probably the 2 best ever to play for Arsenal.

1 Like

Sorry I meant in the top 20 lists not the line ups. Bergkamp and Henry have that shit secured for eternity.

Oh yeah deffo agreed for the top 20.