Thomas Partey (5)

1 baller and he’s the one we already have.

1 Like

How wrong was I…

€40m is a great sum

I wonder what planet people are living on with stuff like this.

100m for rice is fine and 40m for Partey is good. 60m spent to downgrade the position :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Main reason has to be those allegations and a clean break for the club and him. There’s the injuries and loss of form but with two years on his contract you keep him around despite that.

1 Like

They’re at different stages in their careers. You expecting Thomas Partey to be sold for a similar price to Rice? I must question the planet you’re living on Sir…

Rice is not a downgrade either lol. That’s nonsense

3 Likes

He’s 100% a downgrade. Partey is far superior and worth easily more than what we paid for him.

Let’s remember we got him at a deal cos of his release clause of 45m. He’s now what 2-3 years older? But has shown to be one of the best midfielders in the league when fit, particularly last season. If Rodri keeps playing like he is you think city would let him go for 40m euros in 3 years? They got more than that for Sterling who they didn’t even need anymore.

Rice is a clown playing in a team losing 20 games and barely escaping relegation.

I didn’t say they should be the same fee, I think paying 60m to downgrade is dumb. Rice is overpriced and Partey under priced at those figures. 15-20m was the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard tbh.

Back to closing my eyes and praying, seem to be in the minority on Partey’s importance to us.

7 Likes

I’d prefer younger age, health/availability, and potentials.

One is going to improve, and one is going to deteriorate.

2 Likes

Partey played 33/38 games in the PL this season. Availability was fine.

1 Like

Fully agreed with Starboy, the fee touted for Partey is a fucking joke. Arguably the top 2 DMs in the Premier League. Shouldn’t be leaving for anything less than £65m.

People need to understand this; look at the fees & bids going in for dross players — whilst one of our stars can only net £40m? In installments? :rofl:

If Partey was at West Ham, Chelsea, City or Man Utd they’d be asking for £70m and you all know it.

5 Likes

Would be outrageous to lose one of the most dominant central midfielders and by far the best 6 we’ve had in the Emirates era for £35m in this age of transfer fees.

We can kiss a title challenge goodbye if we’re expecting just Declan Rice to hold the fort for an entire season and Havertz to transition into a centre mid. We fell short because of a lack of quality depth and people think it’s a good idea to gut the guys that got us in contention in the first place.

Caicedo on top of this is a fucking must to cover the loss of both Partey and Xhaka. It’s a crazy move by the club to let go of both.

Fucking joke to even be letting the pair of them go in the first place tbh.

1 Like

Does it surprise you, though? We haven’t sold a player for over 70mil even though we’ve had chances to do so.

I’ll believe it when I see it, but we have to make a big money outgoing transfer somewhere down the line.

The club need to learn from Liverpool when it comes to player sales; what they did with Suarez & Coutinho was brilliant,

2 Likes

Around £50m combined for Xhaka and Partey not the best really. Need another big sale somewhere down the line.

1 Like

Very harsh

Can’t believe the disrespect Partey gets. There’s no aspect of his game lacking. He has immense positioning, his passing is excellent, strong in the challenge and recently a genuine threat from long range shots as well. Such a composed top class player. Like any player has dips in form but for the most part we NEVER play well when he doesn’t play well. He’s key to all we do.

Jorginho has been an excellent stand in but again when Partey’s on form we’re a different beast.

Been a force at the highest level in the CL for Atletico and the last few years at Arsenal but Rice is somehow easily the better player. What because of some Twitter metrics. Been an absolute rolls royce for us and Atleti.

Rice and Caicedo as talented as they are still have to prove they’re able to hit Partey’s levels…

Had we added Rice or Caicedo on top of Partey and Xhaka we would be dead set for a full campaign. Losing just Xhaka we can just about manage with the right signings. Now it’s looking very sticky.

4 Likes

Something like 10 players aged 30 and over have ever sold for more than £30m in the history of football and most of them are either stupid buys by Italian clubs in another era or players like Ronaldo, Lewandowski, etc. Whether we should sell Partey is one question, but if we do then a £35m fee would be plenty good.

Should we sell him? I’m not convinced, even if Caicedo or Lavia are coming. But I think the decision won’t be taken just on footballing grounds and it becomes hard to evaluate in that context. I wouldn’t be surprised if the implicit deal between Partey, Arteta, and the Kroenkes all along has been that the club would stand by him through the legal uncertainty of last year but that he would move along this summer.

I said in another thread Arsenal the only team looking to keep the transfer market prices real… Seems that’s also the case when selling too :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

He can’t head (but then we’re not a “heading” kinda team, so that’s probably a little unfair on my part).

The dip in form was hugely alarming (and it was for a number of games). If he had that last season, what’s to stop that happening as he gets older, or when/if the allegations gather pace? Even the things you highlighted- the passing, the challenging- that went out of the window when he turned to shit. He just became a floater like Darren Fletcher.

I agree overall that we should be looking to sell for a massive amount if we’re going to sell. It may mean Rice, Havertz and Caicedo coming in.

We’d need a massive pre-season for all these boys to gel, though.

1 Like

Totally agree. When he’s on his game he’s a brilliant footballer but the club are worried about his vulnerability to injuries and his inability to be consistent for a whole season. Now is the time to cash in rather than continue to build the team around him and end up worrying every time he goes down on the pitch.

The off-pitch stuff, regardless of what happens, has left a bit of a stink around the club. It’s not a good look when one of your players is consistently booed by opposition fans.

1 Like

Why though? I’m not a huge Havertz or Rice stan but those are three midfielders with plenty of raw talent.