Thierry Henry

Good defender but very overrated. Volatile and often lost his head.
He was fantastic under coaches who knew how to control him and an absolute liability under those who didn’t.

3 Likes

What didn’t he win though. Performing at the highest level on the biggest stages is testament to greatness.

4 Likes

He’s been linked with Man Utd a lot over the years hasn’t he? If he ever got that move Sergio’s legacy wouldn’t be as bright.

Carried a lot by the super team that was assembled in Madrid. His best moments aren’t even defensive ones, it’s the key goals he scored.

From a purely defensive perspective he wasn’t as great.

1 Like

4 Likes

Ramos wasn’t overrated plenty of people downplay his greatness. But Ramos stands alongside any defender of the last 15 years as one of the very best CBs.

He had consistency issues in his 20s and made dumb mistakes but when he pushed past the 30 barrier he became a much more accomplished and measured performer

Look at Barzagli he was a clown in his late 20s looked like a total bum. Joined Juventus and 6 months later he’s comfortably the best CB at the club and probably the best one on one defender in Europe.

Great CBs will never hit their peak so soon it takes time to find the balance and consistency

Ramos beyond great and a legendary CB

3 Likes

Used to have this same argument with many a Gooner over Kolo Toure lol.

I cant agree with that I’m sorry.
I’ve watched the guy weekly for years. Used to get toasted by Lucas Perez and Iago Aspas, losing his over nonsense.
In my eyes he’ll always be a player with great ability but very much a donkey.

I do wonder where @oompa stands on this. I’ve had this discussion with plenty of Madridistas and usually it’s a split.

1 Like

I feel like you’re assessing the pre prime version of Ramos rather than him at his actual peak in his 30s.

1 Like

Nope, same player throughout the years. He’s very much a player that depends on the coach being able to control him and his teammates to cover for him. Still, even with them he’ll have those games where he was a total donkey and nobody could stop him being one.
Trying to get a late goal to get a draw or a win? Great timing for an unnecessary foul and then a fight to waste more time like the opponent wants and may get a red card on top of it.

A big reason why he was always so crap for Spain was that he never had the ideal conditions like Madrid.

1 Like

I disagree…I don’t like the guy at all on a personal level. But The imposing thing about Ramos’ career is that he started as a RB. There’s no doubt he is one of the best defenders of the last two decades , and usually the hate around him is his persona . Madrid have always played a high-line and one with very often little defensive security. Does Ramos get opened up too much in his younger years? Yes. Does he get plucked out by Henry?Yes. But remember he is still up against one of the greatest forwards ever. Yes. But in terms of last gasp shielding, 3 v 2 situations, getting tight on attackers and in the air, he is first class. And he’s been a imposing performers for Spain , I think Piqué has let his team down more on more occurrence in past few years .

1 Like

You’re absolutely without a doubt trolling now. You’re calling probably the best CB in world football (or at least best 3) of the past 7-8 years of football a donkey?

He absolutely wasn’t always crap for Spain he’s been named in team of the tournament for major football tournaments on a few occasions and I’m very certain he’s won awards for being the best performer for his country too.

Ramos is an elite and all time great defender. When he grew into a beast in his 30s he was a fundamental player in his clubs success. Don’t use the decline of Spain against him he’s an absolute beast.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about Ramos the RB nor am I addressing the video.
Ramos the RB was one of my favourite players.

I’m talking about Ramos being the last line of defence as a CB. Love Mourinho to bits but I hated when he fully converted him into one. He managed to handle him well but other managers after him couldn’t.

I’m talking as someone who’s watched him extensively for years. This isn’t as much of a shocking opinion within Madridistas.

1 Like

This ain’t some troll job lol. This isn’t the first time I’ve shared this opinion in here.

Ramos the RB used to get battered by wingers. Ramos the CB had concentration issues. Ramos the CB at his best was an absolute dominant monster

1 Like

I don’t agree. And I expected more understanding from you considering you never rated Varane despite his achievements.
I think your stance for him was similar. That he was carried by others. Am I right?

I love Ramos. behave.

1 Like

I loved Ramos. I love Pepe and Varane more.
I do put him above Albiol. Remember Garay? In fact, remember when Mou brought Carvalho? :sob:

Do you think Pepe and Varane were better than Ramos?

You expected me to understand what is undeniably a ridiculous take about the quality of a generational great CB?

Yes, they’re better defenders. I know you hate Varane but don’t tell me you hate Pepe too, we might throw hands. :pires2:

The Portuguese lunatic is a fucking legend.

Unlike his pal, Ramos, all that aggression hasn’t got him double digit red cards.

1 Like