Thierry Henry

Shut your whore mouth!

2 Likes

If only only scored that chance in the CL final, we’d have won the European cup and none of this would even be talked about :cry:.

1 Like

Cantona gets ridiculously underrated now too. Maybe it’s the age demographics but even on Redcafe they don’t realise he was the key component to them winning their first few league titles in decades. He was arguably more important than Fergie who didn’t win a league title before picking up Oh Ah.

Zola looked majestic in his slick mazey dribbles but wasn’t the creator that Bergy or Cantona was.

Del Piero of the 90s I believe switched between the 9 and 10 roles more than the above 3 players imo. But as he lost his pace dropped into the role of more of a creator.

Then there’s Baggio, pretty much cast aside by both Juve and Milan. We probably could have picked the divine pony tail up after he left Milan and went to Bologna if we wanted

Italy was shipping out it’s world class number 10s on mass. Bergy, Baggio, Zola, Asprilla and to a lesser extent Di Canio, who is probably responsible for West Ham thinking they have a history or playing good football.

3 Likes

I distinctly remember Henry addressing that chance after the game. He said his legs had nothing left by that point to generate any power. I thought he gave absolutely everything in that final and perhaps even exerted too much too soon. The chance was not an easy one by any means. He had one in the opening minutes of the match that looked a bigger opportunity imo.

The biggest if for me is if the ref never disallowed Barca’s goal and only administered a yellow card for Lehmann, how would the game have gone I wonder.

We only have ourselves to blame for never reaching there again given the positions we’ve gotten into over the years and the opportunities we’ve had.

3 Likes

Haha, nice.

What if Wenger went with the back 4 that got us there. Eboue-Senderos-Kolo-Flamini?
What if Arsene started Reyes, a player who had contributed 20 goals and assists that year ahead of Hleb for example?

Henry wasn’t suited to playing up front on his own. Going down to ten men hindered his play even more and depleted his energy. He needed a sidekick. Jose Antonio Reyes. Yes this is just an excuse to post the video below. CWD comps>>>> :cry:

Was a hard call either way regarding the defence. I mean to not start Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole in a Champions League final when fit and available is a big one. That defence as brilliant as they were in the competition were still very inexperienced.

20 years ago today we signed the King :heart_eyes_cat:

9 Likes

Always liked this guy. By no means a superstar, but you could always count on him to do a job wherever you put him.

1 Like

:giroud3::pires2:

Each to their own, but I think he’s more in the Milner category. There’s talent, but what you get is a real hard-working, serviceable player that the fans can really relate to.

4 Likes

I feel like we are getting trolled here.

Yeah that’s what I thought when I saw the birthday post too, the bloke hasn’t played for us in ages.

1 Like

But he is a legend here? Not that weird in the case, is it?

Yeah and what I was saying is I always liked the guy when he was here. Not sure what you disagree on? lol

The not superstar part, initially.

Yeah like I said each to their own, my point is just that the guy could do a job no matter where you put him.

Sure, it’s not the generic view of ‘superstar’ but I think the high regard he is held in among us gunners is evidence that this guy is a likeable player.

Give the bloke a break ffs

2 Likes

Fair enough. I just think that a player who was basically an one-man army on his peak should be considered a superstar. That Real Madrid goal was something that he consistently did :smile:.

2 Likes

He got you, brother :fishing_pole_and_fish:

7 Likes

Classic Bavin

1 Like