Unpopular football opinions

These damn kids just don’t know innit. That was an era where getting 20 goals in 40 games is an amazing season.

They’d look at those numbers, compare it to today and think that’s shite.

4 Likes

15 goals in all comps, so you’re half right :grin:

1 Like

I know Rooney scored more but Greaves goal scoring stats for England will be very hard to beat.
He scored 44 in 57, Rooney scored 53 in 120 games, and a lot of those were meaningless friendlies.
You could have Lineker as well, he scored around a goal every other game at the top level, and was a World Cup top scorer.

1 Like

You could have Ian Rush the next nearest to Greaves here.

1 Like

Rush played for Liverpool. Doesn’t count.

1 Like

Oh wow. Good for Ian Rush.

6 Likes

Come on mate he played for Leeds I’m trying to be objective. You can too.:grin:

1 Like

Oh yeah! 94/95?

If I’m not mistaken, Johnny Barnes joined the super whites at the same time, no?

Don’t remember that tbh.

It was a transitional season because we were disbanding the title winning team and got rid of the last Englishman to win a top flight title as manager.

(Oops, switch “we” to “Leeds” please, ta)

Yep, wikipedia is my friend. Barnesy joined Newcastle in 1997.

Ian Rush? He was a nobody until he was on Renford Rejects.

3 Likes

Remember when Zola and Keown appeared on Renford Rejects? They had a role reversal. Zola the tough-tackling, no-nonsense defender and Keown as the skilful, elegant player.

Brilliant programme. Loved it.

Sorry I thought you meant Barnes played for Leeds.

Yeah I was completely wrong lol. Barnes never played for Leeds. Went from Liverpool to Newcastle.

They’ll only ever be one Jimmy Greaves , Stroller ,What a player , sadly in very poor health now.
John Barnes must be one of the top 4 or 5 most overrated player’s ever . Bobby Charlton being another .

1 Like

Can’t agree on Bobby mate. The beating heart of English football.
Had to bloody well score against us in my very first game though.
True legend for me.

People mentioned Anelka earier… I gotta say a word or two about him, that guy’s career still baffles me.

I didn’t watch him before City… can’t say watched him carefully in those years either… But when he came to Chelsea I was absolutely amazed how did such a player waste so many of his prime years (almost a decade ffs) playing for midtable EPL teams, even went to Turkey… and those stints with real, psg and liverpool…
Right away he made the Chelsea team better when he came in the middle of the 2007/08, got to the CL final and narrowly lost the league.
He was equally comfortable leading the line or suporting Drogba from the wing… even kept Drogba on the bench for a big part of 2009 when he was the EPL golden boot with 19 goals. Had it absolutely all. A physical, athletic and clinical version of Benzema you could maybe say.

And then when I watch his highlights with Arsenal when he was a f***** teenager… Just looks SO dominant, so many quality goals, dominating defenders with his pace, strength and skills… He’d surely be among the best strikers of the decade (00’s) if he made some better choices after leaving Arsenal (or if he stayed here).

4 Likes

Haha, close enough

Because of the Lacazette thread. The former is going to be more(?) unpopular than the latter, but Arsenal should have never signed Ozil nor Lacazette, but needed another winger in both cases and both signings set proper team building back in a way.

2 Likes