The Conservative Party

What about prime minister mogg or davis though? How does he convince a parliament that hard Brexit is a winner?

There’s a talk of coming down to “country vs party” for MPs and I can’t see 100% of conservatives being whipped for either side on such a big issue and most of Labour will probably reject anything to further fuel the Tory mess.

I really can’t envisage anything getting through parliament, in which case I can only imagine the people can decide for real (somehow)

I hope MPs see sense and put the country before their party. If not Mogg, Corbyn et al can explain to the country the consequences of their actions and a no deal.

I won’t hold my breath though

May should just tell everyone to fuck off, and say we’re not leaving.

How would that help?

Is that possible? Article 50 was triggered. Is there legal mechanisms to untrigger it?

The man who wrote Article 50 says it can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The EU would be happy to have us back,tail between legs and without all the special dispensions, mind.

They still want a more unified Europe, and luckily they can keep that in perspective.

this guy just hates women, doesn’t he?

How can one MP block a bill?

He votes against things on the first pass if they haven’t been debated at all.

Basically the same as last time, it’s not some crusade to oppress women, it’s a fuss about nothing.

2 Likes

I can’t see anything getting through, there’s no deal that Parliament would accept, the country can’t accept no deal, and Brexit not happening, much as that’s what I voted for, would be catastrophic for our democracy and so would a second referendum.

We are on the edge of a massive national crisis.

Yeah I don’t get what it is that he’s doing wrong to be honest.

They going for the ideological view on it without looking at from a contextual point of view.

Yeah, he regularly filibusters private members bills, and this does appear to be a matter of principle and not because he necessarily has an objection to the bill in question.

Chope said that he objects on principle to legislation being introduced to the statute books without debate: “[T]his is something I have fought for in most of my time as an MP and it goes to the very heart of the power balance between the government and Parliament. The government is abusing parliamentary time for its own ends and in a democracy this is not acceptable. The government cannot just bring in what it wants on the nod.”

However, I have seen it said that he has sponsored many private members bills himself, so it is only right that his decisions attract some scrutiny

And the Conservatives now ready to part-give-away Gibraltar. Hilarious.

Just imagine if Jezza did it. The Telegraph would be calling for a death sentence. LBC would be foaming blood.

We really could be witnessing the final death of the Tories. How do they bounce back from a failed Brexit betrayal, the lose of Gibraltar, and the potential break-up of the Union?

2 Likes

Fixed.

There’s more than enough vocal and public dissent directed towards May’s deal within the party so that a large majority will not be tainted. Couple that with the fact that the May’s deal has little support at the Tory grassroots I can see the base being intact if the deal is widely voted down.

Not sure about electability appeal though, good thing is the other party isn’t appealing either but unknown quantities favour better

Would it be that much of a crisis given that, from what we in the US have heard regarding the Brexit Leave campaign, it sounds like the entire vote was either hacked or at the very least sold to the public with some outright lies from the Leave camp.

2 Likes

I would be delighted for Brexit not to happen, but my concern is I can’t see any resolution to the situation that the country will accept - be that a hard Brexit, soft Brexit or no Brexit at all. A lot of remainers seem to be of the opinion that if there was another referendum, remain would win by a landslide but I don’t believe that’s true at all. I think what we’d end up with is another very close result that won’t clear up anything.

What it would do, however, is discredit the democratic process in this country to an extent I’m not sure it could come back from in this generation. If the original referendum and the subsequent chaos have demonstrated one thing, it’s that this issue bitterly divides our country on so many lines.

1 Like

You might be surprised, but those arguments don’t get anywhere near the traction that they receive in the US.

1 Like

I am surprised! I figured there would be some sort of equivalent to MSNBC really hammering the Tory party on shit like this or at least a healthy ecosystem of podcasts doing it like we have here for the Mueller investigation.