The UK Conservative Party

I would have to agree with this whole statement. At the moment labour has shown absolutely nothing that suggest that they can overcome the Tory government. The core base at the moment are to detached from most of the country and those that you would think normally vote for them. Boris is bumbling through everything at the moment yet he is still has better rating than stamer. They no cohesive plan to appeal to voters or bring them back and watching the conference did not help either. Labour has gone so far left they have pulled the tories from center right to a center left party it’s crazy (IMO Boris is more Blair than thatcher).

2 Likes

Labour might be fully on board with woke culture, but nothing in their policies is far left at all.

I would argue that they might actually win an election if they did. Although they would need someone who has charisma, and that isn’t that wet fish Kier Starmer.

1 Like

Every general election is different and contested over different issues, the Tory government of Cameron and May definitely does not resemble the composition or mentality of BJ government.

Can’t say that I agree with the suggestion time needs to pass for people to warm to the idea of voting Labour, this isn’t how electoral support works. The perception of this is skewed because the electoral map has changed since Labour were last in power, they can no longer rely on Scottish seats

General elections are about issues at that particular time, and I’m very confident Labour under Stamer will have comprehensive policies to address issues like Housing, Taxation, infrastructure investment and NHS to gain support.

The only question that remains is if Stamer will lean to the right on some issues like culture, Brexit or immigration.

I’m the most objective/accurate Political commentator on this forum buddy :wink:

2 Likes

It just takes a long time for the grassroots organisation and machinery to build into a state that is ready to reverse power that has consolidated so much the other way. For comparison I look at the conservative movement in Canada taking ages to be ready to defeat Trudeau despite him being mired in scandal after scandal. This is perhaps a bit similar with an identity crisis yet to be resolved into something fully coherent and credible. After all, Labour is still only one leader on from Corbyn right now. There’s a reason why Kinnock failed to win and Blair had to make so many pledges playing to conservatism to win his first term, an electoral landslide yes, but accompanied by the Tories messing up in a big way with sleaze, etc…

There are conservative views deeply entrenched within the public which are kept hidden, to the point that many lie to pollsters. Tories may well have increased taxes, but if Labour is not pledging to not raise taxes during its first term, as Blair did, the public will still likely go with the Tories in terms of pocketbook considerations. etc.

Anyone that implements those policies would be.

But these reprehensible lizards In charge won’t let that happen.

2 Likes

I do feel that Labour have a real chance to capitalise on the tories slide, no doubt Boris is running out of a steam and his messaging appears to be just bluster (like it always has been but the novelty has worn off)

That said, not enough attention is being paid to the boundary changes. These have the potential to really fuck over Labour so I won’t hold my breathe

3 Likes

This is all news cycle; the Tory party will take over again after Christmas

Honestly speaking I think the Tories will end up taking another election before we see them gone.

Don’t know what the fuck happened to the Labour Party, but I don’t think they are popular enough to be able to win an election and then have enough of a majority to form a government.

2 Likes

To many of them on Twitter :joy::rofl:

1 Like

Following all of this over the last few years I keep seeing the Tories way outperform expectations in by-elections, and even council elections. That simply does not happen for most incumbent governments, not just in UK, but around the world in democratic nations. It just shows how weak Labour are, despite Tories just stumbling along. We’d have to see a series of big by-election wins for Labour I think before considering them ready.

2 Likes

Generally I’d agree with that assessment. But UK politics is nuts. It could flip on a couple of key things. By far the most likely outcome of the next Election is a tory majority but who knows, it’s full of surprises.

3 Likes

True, I guess there was a bit of a shock factor with Corbyn momentum for the 2017 (?) election where Theresa May and Tories ran a dreadful campaign also.

1 Like

.:joy:

1 Like

IMO Labour’s biggest issue is the electorate have no idea where Starmer stands on anything, besides doing a brilliant job of moaning after the fact, so far he has come out with nothing proactive to give anyone an idea of what kind of PM he would make…

2 Likes