The Conservative Party

Pardon?

I think he was referring to Boris.

On one hand I’m glad this does actually seem to be an issue and hasn’t just been brushed under the carpet. On the other, I find it very worrying that someone like this would say these things in the first place.

I don’t think he’s just an idiot that says stupid things, this was a deliberate article and not some off the cuff remark. He probably had his PR team behind this saying it would be a good way to show he can be the leader of this country by straight talking, saying what needs to be said and not pandering to the lefty PC brigade. Has enough of this country really turned to the point that this is a legitimate strategy to get your ratings up?

2 Likes

tbh I think burkas should be banned aswell.

1 Like

He totally anticipated the inevitable reaction to his ignorant comments and planned his response accordingly to further solidify his position in a party whose grassroots has been moving further to the right.

Johnson is a careerist worm. He certainly is not an idiot but he views political power solely to satisfy his own ambition.

2 Likes

Spot on!

He’s the definition of a career politician, and not a particularly talented one at that

As long as it’s someone’s choice to wear one I really don’t care for the most part. I do think jobs should be able to decide whether they are appropriate or not though and then people who want to wear them can decide whether or not they want that job.

Boris such a cretin.

Tories were happily heaping the scorn on labour over anti-Semitism and nobody was paying any attention to the bigotry within his own party. They would happily be back ahead in the polls after another doseage of anti-Semitic scandal.

But he had to go and make Islamophobic comments and bring unwanted (from the Tory point of view) attention to what Sayeeda Warsi has been talking about for ages, rampant Islamophobia in the Tory party :arteta:

And now a scandal swirls around these guys too.

I will say it again. The man is a complete and utter dipshit who is only where he is due to privilege and connections. The man on the street is smarter.

How common is working in a burka anyway? I work as a teacher in a very Muslim populated area, and I haven’t seen a single women working in a burka. Not in a school, a shop, not anywhere, not once. Wearing the hijab yes often, but never something covering the face. It’s also generally older women who cover their face and you usually see them pushing prams with shopping bags in their hands. How does anyone feel threatened by this?

Anyway, I agreed with your point. I cant really think of any, but there probably are some jobs where it would be a bad idea to cover the face.

2 Likes

Any job where you have to deal with other people.

Depends I would think. I mean a teacher or a nurse maybe yes, but you don’t really need someone’s expression for a bank or a shop transaction.

There’s also only 1.5 million Muslim women in the UK, once you minus the children and calculate how many of them originate from nations where covering the face is common that only leaves a figure of about 7,500.

You don’t think outward appearance is important in frontline customer service roles?

It’d be a problem for me.

Not really. We already have ATM’s, self check outs in supermarkets, we order food via a speaker in drive throughs, we purchase most of our products now online - the future is a faceless frontline service anyway. What does it matter if you don’t see the mouth of a women cashing your cheque or ringing through your weekly shop. We don’t chat to them anyway.

The ease of convenience has really got anything to do with outward appearance in frontline customer service role tbh even then there still a need for human staff to service customers alongside automation.

You must have worked in retail before, the importance of treating a customer as more than a just transaction is always emphasised in the shitty retail jobs I had, part of that includes your facial expression.

Having most of your face covered is not conducive to great interpersonal skills or forging a strong customer service relationship which helps with customer retention and loyalty.

I guess it depends on your personal outlook

In any case it’s not a major point but one I find interesting in general and I agree with your general thrust on the issue.

You’re right of course, but eventually there will be no human side for the more menial forms of service transactions. I mean a middle class coffee shop maybe, but go into McDonalds now and you’re basically ordering from a giant screen. You might need one human to deal with complains and stuff, but the people behind the counter, their days are totally numbered. The reason people freak out about a women covering her face is because its unusual and therefore initially weird, if you bought your shopping from a burka wearing women everyday you’d soon forget about it and chat to her nicely. Point being her expression is clearly superfluous or we wouldn’t automate.

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

You missed a trick by not captioning that “Mayonce”

2 Likes