The Conservative Party

There was no way she was going to take money out of the pockets of her overlords.

Even the energy sector knows they’re rinsing the country to ridiculous levels

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with profit though :laughing:

Ah, the often seen assumption that someone criticising Tory, and therefore government, policy has to therefore be a proponent of Labour and be willing and able to defend their policy positions.

The tweet focused on the perceived inadequacies of the Tory policy, why not start by offering your thoughts on the actual policy being discussed, the one that will actually be implemented?

4 Likes

No, the fact is there is no easy fix and Labour or Tory or Lib Dem or anyone else will only have a short term fix because the problem was created many year ago.

The easiest thing in the world is to criticise, anyone can do that. Too easy to tweet short comings of a problem that has no simple solution.

The tweet has no solution only criticism and to suggest nationalisation at this point isnt a workable solution, the countereffects of now trying to nationalise means that comments/tweets like that are only meant to incite anti-Tory sentiment.

I personally dont like either Tory or Labour currently (for a long while actually) but the current way forward doesn’t seem much better or worse than anyone else is putting forward.

The tweet does propose a solution/alternative course of action though, just not one that you think very highly of. So all this whinging about it being easy to criticise and not propose solutions is basically irrelevant here, because that’s exactly what the tweeter attempted: criticism followed by what they perceive to be a better course of action.

1 Like

True, the tweet doesn’t even make sense . Fair enough if you’re against the private profit in any critical sector but “profiteering” accounts for very little of the increase in costs, it’s really stunning alot of people make that their focus rather than wider strategic problems with energy production and supply. Just really lazy basic group think of points that are continuously regurgitated.

At the end of the day, cost is cost. The Gov has the step in subsidize energy bills in the short term, this is just a reality of the situation and they would be doing so if the sector was nationalized too. Does a windfall tax really do anything meaningful, a little but not alot.

1 Like

So you believe Nationalising Energy at this point is a viable solution?

Assuming you do and your posts arent just because you want to support anything anti-Tory, how do you propose this Nationalisation takes place?

1. Buy out these Energy firms at market rates, how much are we talking about and how is that paid for, is that pain more or less than the current predicament?
  2. Simply Nationalise with little or no compensation, what does that mean for other businesses and investments in the UK and what costs come from the inevitable divestment and are those more or less than the current predicament?
  3. Another way?

Simply spewing a “solution” doesnt make it one. Like tweeting lets end the cost of living crisis and send every UK citizen £1M (easy solution with zero practicality)

2 Likes

‘Waaaa stupid tweet criticising this shit government, I don’t like it, tweets stupid I am so smart waaaa’

This is what I meant from initial post against the tweet…

The issues we have now are from years (decades) of poor planning and poor decisions. Those were mostly by Tory Governments but only because they have had more time in power, it is not like Blair did a better job.

I have said a few times, UK is starved for choice of leaders on all sides. The people we get to vote in are almost all as bad as eachother.

The government effectively took control of Bulb when it went under. They could have then said this is our new state backed provider now and started it with a million customers or whatever they had. That’s a start.

You also don’t need to fully nationalise everything that exists. They’ll be granting new oil and gas licenses for the North Sea, you could force that to be in a new firm with a government stake for example, or with capped pricing selling on the domestic market, or something else making it beneficial for the country. Britain produces half of the oil and gas it uses, why should that then be sold to British consumers at the global price? Why does Norway have a state owned entity pumping their gas in the North sea? Why are they so much better than us? Why not let energy producers pay some tax?

Why not subside home insulation? Or solar panels?

You could try lots of things with public money to help deal with this in the long term if you had the ambition to. Now we’re left with spending obscene amounts to gain nothing other than cheaper bills for a couple of years with no long term payoff.

8 Likes

Except for the fact we’ve had decades of fu sing schemes to save energy cost that have not worked or just plain crap inefficient to pander to climate lobbyist.

Yet instead of scrapping net zero, scrapping energy redistribution scheme that puts 25-40% extra on top of our bills, we more bullshit takes from climate fanatics that would hate the world if they got their way.

That makes a lot of sense and something I could happily get on board with.

If labour for example came out with that as their plan moving forward, I think they would gain a lot of additional voters

More spending and more taxes; solar panels aren’t efficient in Britain, not only that it will need replacing every so often.

If only, we have to bodies that only think throwing money at the wall to solve a problem that they’ve caused.

The government has demonised the energy companies for ages now for them on to green initiatives, which has put in hard place to operate because a lot of these thing put you at a lose, hence why the consumer is footing the bill for things they not even want, nor asked for.

Green initiatives are big business, no doubt.

1 Like

I was listening to a story about these guys coming up with an idea to make energy from waves, did the modelling found out it wasn’t going to work and still got funding for it, to prove it doesn’t work :melting_face:

I’ve got 6 and they’ve produced 1.5megawatts since March. That’s enough to drive an electric car 5000+ miles. Stick them on a couple of million roofs and it adds up…

Yea only got a poxy 30 year guarantee with mine. Fuck sake.

4 Likes

Solar technology has moved on. It’s even useful in the UK now :slight_smile:

Funny one would have missed the sunny weather the British isle has had sense March you the same sunny weather appears ever spring to summer; but fact you are gloating that during the spring and summer season your solar panels are working is truly big brained, man you sure showed me :rofl:

A guarantee doesn’t mean I would not replacing you absolute idiot seriously for a grown man your lack common sense baffles me.

1 Like

10 Likes