U.S. Politics

Hilary is too old and too unpopular, it would be suicide for the Dems.

He didn’t even win the race in his own state tho. Granted he was in Texas and came close but the dood couldn’t even beat Ted Cruz after all the mud he’d been dragged through.

1 Like

Is there any real chance of Trump being challenged for the Republican nom?

He’ll be challenged, by the usual suspects, with the same result.

Come on, to be fair to him, it’s Texas.

And trump also lost to Cruz in Texas, running as a republican, by more of the vote compared to Beto.

Beto coming so close was an achievement. And his momentum helped many downticket democrats win in counties they never would have dreamt of otherwise.

I think Beto would be a good shout and he’d beat trump.

But I am a bit concerned with recent stories re. His voting record.

If it’s not him, it’ll probably be Kamala Harris but I don’t know much about her.

Watched all the debates and followed the Texas election closely. Beto is incredibly thin on actual policy.

More flash and polish than substance tbh

The nominee has to be Biden or Bernie. Alas they’re too white and male.

1 Like

I think Bernie will run again.

I really don’t see Biden running. He might actually be older than Trump is and I don’t know that he’d energize the leftists that the Democrats need in order to win.

Beto is extremely thin on policy right now but he’s got time to flesh that kind of stuff out. I don’t necessarily need to read 6000 white papers from him before pulling the lever in his favor but I don’t need him to have positions on absolutely everything right now. I’d settle for a few big ideas about reengaging with the world diplomatically, getting back into the Paris Climate agreement and curbstomping that corporate tax cut the GOP passed out of existence.

2 Likes

The Dems need all the Obama voters who switched to Trump. I don’t see them getting them unless they put forward a true progressive, and not some old establishment figure.

The only exception to that would be Bernie, and so far he is refusing to say whether he will run or not.

The conventional knock on Bernie was that he’s weak in communities of color. I’m not part of those communities so I can’t really speak to that. He’s also been perceived as weak on gun control, especially in light of how the gun conversation have moved more towards the left in light of continuous domestic terrorist attacks.

The other thing that concerns me is the possibility that former Hilary voters would lobby against Bernie running after his less than enthusiastic endorsement of HRC in 2016.

I would do just about anything to have Trump voted out of office so needless to say I’ll be voting Dem even if they nominate Doctor Zoidberg from Futurama.

1 Like

I was led to believe that Beto, if not on the Bernie level, is at least a ‘Obama circa 2007’ level progressive.

Is that wrong?

Time will tell with Beto.

If that’s true, and I’m not going to pretend that I’ve read all of Beto’s literature I think he’d still have issues. Hell, 2007 Obama would have issues rallying support among the Dems right now. 2007 Obama was still “evolving” on the issue of same-sex marriage I think!

What Beto does have going for him is a lot of fawning press coverage after running a pretty inspiring campaign in Texas. I couldn’t tell you what his position on nuclear arms on the Korean peninsula is but I know that he sounds good at a rally, and right now that’s pretty much the measuring stick for US politics unfortunately. To me he also doesn’t come across as a try-hard which I think is something Hilary really suffered from.

1 Like

Wasn’t there hype around Kirsten Gillibrand for a while?

There was hype around her at one point, sure. But the left (and I count myself in this) has a tendency to eat its own. Nothing is good enough and nobody is pure enough.

Kamala Harris? Progressive credentials out the wazoo, doesn’t take bullshit from anyone, woman of color. All check marks in her column but she used to be a prosecutor so people don’t think she’s trustworthy.

Bernie Sanders? Free college, fuck up the banks, get serious on climate change…but he’s weak on guns.

2 Likes

I’m too young to watch it in real time, but when they turn on Alexandra Ocasio Cortez, it will be my first and I will have an aneurysm.

Who Dan Sullivan the republican senator?
And no it was introduced March last year.

That’s him.

:joy::joy:

1 Like