U.S. Politics

Because freedom of speech. They can say what they like. It doesn’t mean that institutions and companies have to listen to them though. But if they do, that’s just market forces at work right? Private bodies responding to what their market is telling them. Which the right is usually quite keen on.

1 Like

There’s such a thing as freedom of speech, there’s no such thing as a right to a platform to speak in. Create your own if it’s that important.

If it was your restaurant then yes, absolutely you could dictate what was available to eat.

And the right don’t do it? Link me to the left leaning views on Infowars so.

But it’s not the insistutions saying no is it now just a bunch of anointed activist who think it’s they right to police what people get to listen to

I’ve never been infowars but link me to an article or a vid where right leaning activist shut down a talk they did not agree with. University is not infowars it’s a institution for learning for the exploration of ideas weather left or right of the political sphere no matter how uncomfortable. If you can’t listen and debate ideas you might aswel turn univercities and colleges into a echo chamber factory of one view points and no innovative ideas

Well they probably haven’t succeeded in shutting down stuff but you can be damn sure they tried. Tough break, the owners of the platforms didn’t agree with them.

Again, if having a university that is right leaning is so important then people should set one up. They don’t have the right to have those veiws heard at universities that don’t want them there. Regardless of how the decision that they’re not wanted there came about.

1 Like

What are you talking about? No educational institution should left or right in fact most were conservative and has become more liberal over the years. The mere fact you say this show you are becoming like those on the right intolerant and a separatist.

So you’re talking about regular people utilising their right to protest outside venues where people are due to speak?

People are free to think whatever they want. I’m free not to listen to that.

I’m free not to give a shit if people think it’s unfair that they aren’t allowed use twitter (or universities or whatever) to say those things.

If what is being said is so important then find another way to say it and quit the fucking whining. I’m not a separatist I just think if you (not you) want a platform so badly then just fucking create one.

You can protest as much you like but shutting down a speaker because you don’t agree with they view point is bs. What about those want to listen to that speaker or paid to listen to that said speaker? Don’t they have a right to hear that said speak?

Shutting down protestors because you don’t agree with their point of view is bs

Universities were not made for one view but many what twitter or Facebook does it’s up to them.

Again who said anything about shutting down protest. Everyone can protest as much as they like

So you’re mad that the protest worked?

Genuinely trying to understand where you’re coming from. Perhaps a link to a specific case might help me understand.

There’s 4chan and also this:

1 Like

I think the issue isn’t right/left but the fact anyone can claim faux offense and shut down university platforms. The majority may in fact agree but that

And I’m not talking about that cretin Milo but when someone like Germaine Greer gets no platformed and accused of mysoginy you know something is seriously wrong. And why? Because she states the scientific fact that Post Opp Transexuals are still men. This article in itself shuts down any discussion over the matter and makes ridiculous stretches of the truth:

2 Likes

I didn’t say/imply it was but right views being shot down is the complaint here so I responded in that context.

I don’t think anyone could legitimately claim Germaine Greer has been no platformed either. Her views and opinions are pretty widely accessible. (The article also says she cancelled the talk herself).

Here’s some similar right wing behaviour from this very month

1 Like

It’s funny you post that; it looks like a group of people employing the same tactics as the left.

But for everyone those articles of about the right, there are hundreds of examples of the left disrupting uni lectures, restaurants, speaker events and anything or anyone they don’t agree with.

And?

It’s not funny I’d post that, you said you didn’t know of any right wing people behaving in this way, which is remarkably naive. So I’ve given you one very clear and recent example.

The point being that it isn’t “the tactics of the left”, things like this happen on both sides. And as far as I can tell you’re complaining about protestors having an issue with certain people being booked for speaking appearances, here we’re looking at a clear case of intimidation and criminal damage.

It’s all well and good you saying you can find hundreds of examples but a few posts ago I asked you for one so I can be sure we’re having a sensible discussion about the same thing rather than speaking at crossed purposes, and you didn’t reply.