U.S. Politics

There are a bunch of bills on the floor of the Senate. GOP should spend every moment between now and Xmas recess passing bills into law

Because after that they will be reliant on Presidential decree to get shit done for the next two years

That’s the problem with the US system, it encourages very little cooperation. Obama did everything by presidential decree but it all lacked bi-partisan support and then Trump could just come in and undo everything from the previous four years. In many respects the US system has too many checks and balances

1 Like

Expect a representative democracy to be reflective of the people it represents.

American society has been becoming increasing divisive over the years on key issues. America is too big to govern effectively with huge amounts of Partisanship

I don’t think trump can win 2020 if the Dems don’t take the Midwest firewall states for granted.

He doesn’t really have a route to victory, especially if Dems vote how they did the other day.

That’s a very good point, but the system allows for the polarization to be made prominent. If we had a proportional electoral system here it would show the polarization of this country to it’s full level. One of benefits of our system is that it does allow for governments to pass legislation in a easy manner but with checks still.

1 Like

Which is why it’s so good that one of the states (can’t remember which one) voted in an amendment which puts in ranked voting for their next elections.

Let me look it up.

Edit: here is a kind of shitty link on it

It was very interesting that even in die-hard republican states, these unpartisan propositions were being voted in.

I’m talking things like marijuana legalization etc, and even Florida voted for a proposition that gives former convicts the vote.

I guess if you put a reasonable policy in without showing its from a democrat/republican, more people support it.

You can always count on the Democrats to screw things up. They’ll probably run Hilary again, they’re that arrogant.

1 Like

Bollox

After 8 years the incumbents almost always lose control of the house. And tbh the fact that the Republicans picked up seats in the Senate is a pretty huge victory for Trump.

And if they do this, I also think it will sour a lot of ppl come 2020 and Trump will win again.

1 Like

It’s the Dems that don’t have a path to victory

You only have to look at the county by county map of 2016 to see the monumental task they face

Party split, no real candidate, no message, facing incumbent with strong economy and huge fan base. GOP very likely to get behind Trump 2020 after seeing every Senator he endorsed win in mid terms.

Dems are stuck on around 47% which includes NY and Ca, take them out and they are struggling.

My call is that Trump gets more like 320 in the EC next time. Lump on. Should be about 1/4. Getting odds against is insane

Hearing republican controlled counties allowed Email voting, which is illegal by state law.

Surely this election will have to be rerun?

As part of the working class in America whose friends are all part of working class America… the few hundred bucks a year is absolutely nothing compared to the breaks he gave million and billionaires. All the data is here… no one, not even die hard Trumpists can say it made a difference.

So still a chance for the Dems in Georgia and Florida? @NeedCoffee

https://www.heritage.org/taxes/commentary/tax-cuts-only-help-the-wealthy-right-american-paychecks-show-otherwise This article says the opposite.

For every 10 articles on google against it you find 1 for. The ten articles against seems to mirror each other’s points.

Your article appears to be co-written by a Republican in the House of Representatives and the president of the organisation publishing it, which says of itself:

The mission of The Heritage Foundation is to formulate and promote conservative public policies

The words “pinch of salt” are leaping out at me for some reason

His was written by a left leaning NGO :man_shrugging:t5:; that’s my point which I made clear you can for an against.

His link is from a nonpartisan organisation, yours is co-written by a literal Republican official, let’s not act like the two are equivalent.

American politics is so polarizing I don’t know why you guys bother debate it here. The partisanship and tribal tendencies endemic throughout everything. It’s hard to find news that is not playing that game.

1 Like

Or, even more unlikely, a reality star who has been bankrupt several times, who boasts about abusing women, used to vote for the opposition and is a compulsive liar :wink:

1 Like

Is Hillary for real? Another run FFS! :facepalm: