U.S. Politics

Yup it’s being made out over here just as you said. It’s all hands on deck to stop Trump, and I’ve read that new young voter registration is up like 400% in some areas. Of course that could be off a small base but ppl are a lot more passionate about voting this year than in times past.

It goes for both sides tho, I had a co worker on Friday admonishing me to get out and vote Republican :joy::joy:

So yeh everyone is buying the hype. I personally feel our political setup in this country is all wrong and it’s causing most of the problems. The me against them divide that is tearing the nation in two. Having only two options is criminal.

6 Likes

I am very, very cynical right now. To the point where I have stopped listening to the news. Regardless of what happens, I think the real damage has been done. Until we can get people like Ajit Patel, Andrew Wheeler, and Betsy DeVos out of their respective offices, the damage will keep compounding. Trump continues to enable and legitimize home grown terrorists so the atrocities won’t stop any time soon. Add to that the trade war we are currently in, and the good ole US of A is in a very dark place.

Having said all that, I’m still voting and will be turning in my ballot tonight (Washington votes by mail, with secure drop boxes located in various places around the state).

2 Likes

Hoping for an incredibile win Dem in Georgia, Texas and Florida for the Dems. Trump would get embarrassed if it happened.

I’ll be up all night following

Not got the bottle to back my judgement but I’m predicting, much like in 2016, the hidden red voters will affect the outcome, expect polls to be wrong my more thanarhim of error

Pop corn at the ready

It seems as if many potential dems have been motivated to vote though. Plus Trump is now the incumbent, it’s very difficult to get new voters out to vote for him when he’s the status quo. But on the whole I’d be surprised if there was any landslide in either direction, and the republicans will likely keep control of one of the Senate or congress

1 Like

Polls weren’t wrong in 2016. People just interpreted them wrong.

1 Like

This this this.

Okay some polls were a bit wild in the EU referendum and US election but most were within the margin of error (typically 2-3%)

1 Like

Why do you assume all these new votes would go to the democrats?

Because the Dems didn’t come out in 2016, they weren’t energised. Anyone who’s anti trump who didn’t want to vote will now want to vote in protest. Obviously all the new voters won’t all be Dems but a higher turn out favours Dems anyway as do new/younger voters. Especially when Republicans already have what they want, ie their president, so they’re more likely to not show up. There will also be people who voted for Trump who have become disillusioned by the reality of his Presidency.

1 Like

Because the reports are coming from the left and that’s the spin they are putting on it.

But these young voters could also be new young voters that like trump. We shouldn’t assume all the young voters a democrats.

I know right; I rather wait and see.

I don’t see why young voters would suddenly feel energised to vote for an incumbent that is solely focusing on the ‘caravans’ coming from the south. Albeit turnout may be far lower than reported so it is definitely best to wait and see, but I’d imagine most new voters will vote democrat.

That’s an assumption based on your own views, their themselves might see things completely different from you.

Waiting and seeing is the best option, I’ve seen the blu wave is coming, then not quite :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

I voted today. Maryland is pretty solidly Democrat for Federal offices but the DC suburbs, rural counties and resentful racists in Baltimore suburbs will likely reelect a Republican governor.

Absolutely shitting myself over the results. Hopefully the Democrats take the house and some governor’s races in places like Georgia and Florida. These last two years have been so depressing in terms of politics and policies enacted by the GOP.

2 Likes

It’s not just an assumption based on one’s own views though, there’s a clear logic for why people might expect higher turnout/new voters/younger voters to benefit Democrats more than Republicans. It was spelled out for you just a few posts ago.

There’s no guarantee of course, you are right, but this isn’t just “lefties” simply wanting something to be true and then saying that it is. Votes like this fairly rarely favour the incumbent, the general trend is for them to favour the opposition. It’s far easier to mobilise people against something than it is for the status quo.

3 Likes

The ideal would be getting Florida, Georgia and Texas with Beto. Trump would be fuming.

Maybe but research shows younger people are more left wing and become more right wing as they grow older

2 Likes

A big thing driving the young voters to go Dems is those school shootings a while back. There was a nationwide protest when all the high schools walked out against the gun lobby. A main point of theirs was that a very large percentage of them would be able to vote in these midterms. So they might well be a significant factor.

1 Like

I’m predicting the poles will be wrong again and the Reps will maintain control of the house. America will continue it’s downward spiral, dragging the rest of the world with it in a haze of exhaust fumes, hydrocarbons, and rotting soy beans.

Voter suppression is working. Deluded millennials will once again say “There’s no way they can win” and will use that as an excuse not to vote. They will once again be taught the lesson they didn’t learn in 2016… Aye, I’m a cynical old bastard and I hope I’m wrong. But I called Trump and Bush… so my track record is pretty good.