U.S. Politics

Scaremongering. Anything that happens to North Korea will be decided jointly by the Security Council.

Doubt the US does anything on it’s own authority with regard to NK. China and Russia having vested interests here.

Never mind that the debate about the power of the presidency to declare war use nukes have flared up massively recently even before Trump

Serious and complex political questions shouldn’t be reduced to 280 characters

1 Like

To be fair he was summarising what he come across when in Washington for the conference. I happen to believe a pre emptive strike from the US is not out of the realms of possibility. China is of course a big player in this, but they would would take a lead role in forming the next leadership in North Korea should anything happen.

With Trump in the White House I’d say anything is possible. He would probably risk a pre emptive war before the US mainland became in the firing line, despite the death toll it’d bring to S. Korea…

Thing is with the US military these days is that the leadership isn’t filled with hawkish drones ready to follow any obscene order from the President. They are very conscious about Trump and politically aware. I doubt they’d approve of any preemptive strike of any kind against North Korea unless the US had been very seriously directly threatened with a tangible threat.

I think if tensions do increase the joint chiefs would put pressure on congress to assert their authority.

He happy to escalate US involvement in Syria and Afghanistan because it’s comparatively low risk and he appears he’s dealing with radical islamists at the source, a move with his supporters in mind but beyond sendings a task fleet to that part of the world he’s done no real action against NK. Politically he scores points with his base with his defamatory rhetoric against NK and their leadership, he appears tough on NK but I think Trump wants to frame any actual action against North Korea as a Chinese lead decision.

Since WW2 the US have always sought international cooperation as some sort of approval for their military actions. They’re extremely unlikely to do anything solely on their own

Generally I think people overestimate NK nuclear capabilities/potential

“Thought the wihz kalifa vía the Rita Ora up to the cardi b”:face_with_monocle: not forgetting “they see in slow motion because of the blink 182” :thinking::man_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

That Israeli character is genius :joy:

Perfect persona to lure right wing nut jobs to spout their BS

3 Likes

“RIP My son. He died doing what I love” hahahaha holy shit

1 Like

5 Likes

It’s unbelievable how threatening nations over Twitter has become a thing.

1 Like

Nothing’s unbelieveable when it comes to that orange cunt - except himself, and anything that comes out of his gob.

Up to his usual distraction tactics with this Iran thing, though. He’s had a bit of a week.

And once again, there’s a Trump tweet for every occasion.

Donald J. Trump
:heavy_check_mark:
@realDonaldTrump
I predict that President Obama will at some point attack Iran in order to save face!

6:23 PM - Sep 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...ailykos.com%2F
And a bonus!
Donald J. Trump
:heavy_check_mark:
@realDonaldTrump
Remember what I previously said–Obama will someday attack Iran in order to show how tough he is.

2:44 PM - Sep 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...ailykos.com%2F

Many primaries were held last night for the midterm elections.

How’s it looking @NeedCoffee, other yanks?

I seen so far quite a few progressive activist type people got in on the ground in Congress races etc. In Michigan.

It’s a shame Abdul El-Sayed didn’t get in as the Democratic choice for Governor, another bland candidate endorsed by all the big interests got the nod over him :xhaka:

I hear Democrats complaining again that greens denied them a win in a special election :arteta: yeah cos that will get the Green voters back voting democrat.

I see the sense of entitlement hasn’t been washed away by some humbleness.

But I’m glad, as it looks a bit hopeful, and building from the ground up is the best way, get good people at all the lower levels,.like the GOP have been doing with their scumbags.

1 Like

Dems haven’t done a great job of actually appealing to independent voters or the minorities in their own base.

They’ve simply presented themselves as the lesser of two evils when it comes to Trump. And to alot of people that simply isn’t good enough anymore.

I’m beginning to see alot of activists trying to pull the party more left. DSA has a much bigger presence now than they did in years past.

2 Likes

It’s hard to campaign against the false economy Trump has created.

After all, how can you argue against bonuses to workers across America as a result of his tax cuts.

Republicans will argue if you want more good stuff keep the dems out because they’ll stifle the presidency with impeachment and obstruction to his agenda.

There certainly a perception that Trump ‘gets things done’ mainly because isn’t afraid to publicize his ‘wins’. His approval has been growing

I came across this being shared on Facebook:

Now I am firmly on the left, and an absolute supporter of universal access to healthcare but I can’t help but feel the tone of this tweet is incredibly symptomatic of a key problem with the left these days (perhaps any days).

McCain was an opponent, I have no doubt given what I’ve seen of him that I’d disagree any day with almost anything he thought. But he was also the man who refused to plumb the mudslinging depths in his campaign against Obama when doing so might have won him the election - a man who made a point of saying Obama was a decent man that he just fundamentally disagreed with. A man who debated, reasoned and persuaded.

The tone of that tweet was as if to say McCain deserved to be vilified in some way, and that’s the exact way I see people who believe the same things I do behaving like more and more. This man doesn’t think what we think - what a bastard! He’s the enemy! How dare anyone pay tribute to him after his death after years and years of service - he didn’t think what we think so that means he was evil all those years!

We will never win people’s support by villifying them when they don’t snap to our point of view. The left, from my point of view, seems to have to lost the art of debate or discussion or a willingness to hear views other than our own. And whilst that remains the case, we’ll remain the opposition, and a pretty ineffectual one at that.

3 Likes

US politics in a nutshell. Sad to see it spreading.

An interesting point, which I think @Dr_Strangepass made

No platforming on a large scale seems to work.

But I guess mainly when it’s from their own sides.

I don’t get no platfirming at all is that not a firm of censorship? Is that not killing free speech? Some of milo says I agree with some I disagree with. And yes deplatforming him has made him popular because become intrigued on why. Then it turns out he is not this hate filled monster and actually has intresting point of view that should be debated

No. Dude can still say whatever he wants. He just can’t do so in those places anymore.

1 Like

Is there anything to back up this claim? Or is it just you extrapolating from your personal experience?

Because as far as I can tell he has been pretty quiet recently, is writing less and generating fewer headlines than he was previously. I’m not getting a sense of his popularity being resurgent.

Popular with people who love trolling attention whores who claim paedophilia is a good thing and it made them all the better at giving head. Maybe popular with paedophiles then.

The thing is universities actually pay speakers to be on the platform and if anyone thinks that’s a good use of resources they need to have a word with themselves.

Why not? Why does with deferring views have the right to say he can’t speak there? I’m sure there are people who want to listen to him. I’m so I don’t agree with people choosing who gets to speak where because they don’t agree. Should I go to your favorite restaurant and stop you from eating something because I don’t like it? The world needs diverse view points and those that are flawed should be debated in civil discourse. Not shouting or baring people it’s funny because only left leaning people do this I’ve never heard republican/conservative do this practice