The State of The Arsenal

I don’t believe it. Feels more like an agent taking advantage of a club that is run poorly.

We finished outside the top 4 in Wenger’s last two seasons.

He was done. He should have gone a hero in 2015 or 2017 but no he waited until he was sacked.

If we had beaten Brighton, then a win tomorrow would have put us within 5 points of 4th placed Chelsea.

As bad as it’s fucking been, we aren’t a million miles away from competing. And it has been fucking bad.

I’ve never been as disenfranchised and pessimistic about my club, but still, we aren’t dead in the water.

We’re still richer than most clubs. I have very little optimism in our ability to get back on track BUT one good window and we could be in the mix next season.

Need a game changing CM and a couple others - it’s not outside the realms of possibility that we have a good season. I’m feeling better about this shit than I have done in months.

1 Like

Oh, the optimism of my previous post has abandoned me.

We’re fucked

6 Likes

Hard to argue with that. The club is entering a period of irrelevance and could stay there for maybe 5-10 years. If UEFA launched a European Super League tomorrow would Arsenal be in it? Maybe? 10 years ago they would absolutely have been included.

I can accept teething problems on the pitch. I can accept young players shitting the bed. What I’m having a hard time accepting is some of the moves we’ve made. Why commit another year of salary to a guy who has a history of falling out with his coaches? Why commit four years to a guy who was apparently such an underwhelming performer that his previous club was ready to let him walk for free?

A lot will rest on how this summer goes. Raul has a lot to answer for. So far it’s not looking promising.

2 Likes

As @Aussiegooner said, in his penultimate season, Wenger amassed 75 points. A good haul for 4th place in any other season. We were pipped to it by Liverpool by just one point.

In his final season, he didn’t care.

I think even a “done” Wenger gets us top 4 this season

1 Like

Did he tell you this?

1 Like

I think the league this year is the weakest its ever been apart from the top 2 teams.

Majority of the season united had fred mctominay lingard martial rashford James… Chelsea have had tammy mount willian barkley, both with raw managers and Leicester have a very good manager with an average team.
Spurs have had a mini melt down and now have an awful manager.

Villa/Norwich/Brighton/Newcastle/Sheffield United/ Bournemouth/ West Ham / Burnley are all so so weak this year

Roy hodgson has an awful squad at his disposal and he’s still top half of the table because he’s a consistent manager and the other teams are some how worse.

1 Like

In the same way I can tell you’re a man-child, I can tell Wenger didn’t give a f*ck in his last full season.

Doesn’t take a PhD :+1:

The idea Wenger ever didn’t give a shit about the performance of Arsenal football club is clearly bollocks

1 Like

It’s not “clearly” bollocks.

If you were earning 7 or 8 odd million a year- in fact, scratch that. Whatever wage you were earning- if you were told you’re out and you’re serving your notice for 9 months or so, would you still perform to your highest standard?

Look at our away form in Wenger’s last season. Does a caring Wenger have that sort of record?

1 Like

It’s beyond bollocks. It’s completely farcical.

1 Like

By the last year Wenger knew the fans didn’t like him anymore and he fell out of love with what he was doing…it was quite obvious.

Ontop of all the bullshit gazidis signings

1 Like

How is it farcical?

Was it normal for Wenger to have such a poor away record? Was it nornal for Wenger to finish 6th?

The one mitigating factor in all this is that he was leaving at the end of the season. His vision, at that point, is not “let me do as best as I can for my current employer. They’ve unceremoniously dumped me”

2 Likes

Guess I’ve got more love and respect for Wenger than to ever question whether he cared about the fortunes of the club :man_shrugging:

1 Like

:joy: that’s nonsense

Maybe it’s nonsense to believe Wenger gave it his all in his final season, where player performances and results would suggest he didn’t.

The players gave up not Wenger.

He was sacked in April not August. Were are you getting 9 months from?

1 Like

Players have given up on Wenger before. In 20 odd years, he’d only missed out on top 4 once, by a point no less.

I have no doubt he’s encouraged disillusioned players to fight for better results in the past.

What’s the point of him doing it if only to male things rosier for his successor?

I think you’re right, if we had a better performance against Man City then beaten Brighton, we would have been above spurs and at least challenging for a top four place.

But if you look at our season, both under Emery and Arteta, our performances have shown, rather than competing for a CL place, we’re lucky to be around half way in the league because there were several games that we won but were outplayed by often lower opposition.

We are where we deserve to be in the league and until something drastic happens, that’s where we’ll stay.

There are other clubs chasing us that will invest heavily who will show urgency in what they do, while we’re reactive and slow.

We aren’t going to be challenging for a top four place next season, simply because there are too many more ambitious clubs that get things done.
We have nothing to offer and when Aubameyang leaves, even less.

1 Like