Scum

You’re actually about right lol.

I count 5 since 1972.

they spent 50 million on a back up player

2 Likes

Shame Spurs new stadium isn’t hindering spending like it did for us 2006-2013

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re over this

Competing with Bayern Munich any minute now!

2 Likes

The move to the Emirates probably cost us a couple of league titles tbh, we blew our squad up and had limited funds, Wenger was still a top coach in that period also.

So yeah I won’t be stoked with the Emirates until I see us win the couple of league titles I think the move cost us.

We got sold the dream of becoming a long term sustainable powerhouse, but all I see at the moment is a 4th-8th treadmill operation.

2 Likes

He’s right though…

1 Like

I have it at 7 unfortunately.

2 Likes

Of course nothing at all changed since we got sold that dream.

It is what it is at this stage. Felt like the right thing at the time (to fans too, not just the board) but no one who had an authority position in the club then has one now and hasn’t done for many, many a year. Still believe, and perhaps it’s foolish, if Dein hadn’t left he’d have pushed Wenger on again a few times like he used to.

The one thing I always said about Wenger and the club in those years was that as long as they were doing all they could to stay competitive that was basically all we could ask. I get the strong sense that is what is now happening at the club and past mistakes aside if that’s what I see I am going to give it a fair bit of leeway.

1 Like

Biggest what-if isn’t it? Dein staying.

2 Likes

Yep :santi:

1 Like

Yep. Dein sacks Wenger earlier. Big loss him.

3 Likes

He would capitalise on the exploding TV deals at the very least. By the time they arrived Wenger wasn’t the same.

2 Likes

I reckon Dein also ensures we have the right external investment to be competitive in the transfer market too. He wanted external investment and he knew we’d need it to push on.

Don’t think anybody could have predicted Abramovich arriving at Chelsea changing the landscape of football like it did

Yeah that was out of our control what happened with Chelsea, then City and now Newcastle.

Should be said we gave City big help selling our players to them. Then RVP to United to seal the deal. Useless leadership.

4 Likes

City we sold the right players to, I thought. When they were spent here and it was proven when they got there.

Nasri, Clichy, Stuart Taylor, Toure, Adebayor.

They, as a club, did it the right way, too. There was no tapping up. Nothing untoward (although the entire takeover raises questions and is less than desirable)

Chelsea are, and will remain, absolute scumbags. The Ashley Cole saga aside, I still maintain we could have done a lot, lot more to compete on the pitch against them after 2004. There was nothing stopping us having more than one of those 2008 seasons and when you’re finishing 4 points adrift of the eventual leaders in the final reckoning- in another season you’re winning the whole thing.

RvC to ManUre was just horrible. When the player wants to go to one particular club and that club only, it’s difficult. However, as Whiskey Breath Ferguson did with Heinze when he left ManUre, it’s sometimes possible to convince a player otherwise and sell them abroad. It was our first badly mismanaged transfer and set the tone going forward.

8 Likes

I didn’t like how we were getting weaker as they were getting stronger. To be frank we played a good part in them surpassing us on the pitch.

They were blundering with Robinho, Wayne Bridge etc and I think the club was a bit too happy to accept the money without considering what bolstering an emerging competitor truly means.

Only player I was really happy with selling was Adebayor because he took the piss in his last season with us.

3 Likes

The Emirates was the obvious move but Dein leaving meant that we had no one with any vision to take us forward.

We had new owners who knew nothing about the club or football who used the excuse of having to pay for the stadium for the lack of investment.
Then every window, proceeded to sell our best players, replacing them with inadequate alternatives.

We then see spurs build a new stadium at around twice the cost of ours and overtake us.

Who is the constant in our steady fall from the top four places?
Answer: Kroenke.

I know people will defend him saying he has put money into the club but he should have invested when he bought the club, not until other clubs are catching us up.
His decision making and recruitment is unbelievably poor but the lack of urgency, as well as repeating the same mistakes is why we’re in this mess.

Any ambitious owner would have invested in the squad straight away and would have replaced Wenger with the best manager available, when it was clear it wasn’t working out.

Having to watch spurs get a new stadium and finish ahead of us for so many seasons, with a better manager, is totally unacceptable.

2 Likes