The Relationship/Wedding Thread

I don’t know about legality. You asked if it is fair, I don’t think it is fair that he can somehow end up with a chunk of inheritance from a person he most likely never tended to or spent significant amount of time with.

For your workmate it is a lottery but for his wife it is almost her father’s memories.

Unless his name is in his father in law’s will, then he won’t be entitled to anything. If the will leaves inheritance to his daughter and son in law then that’s a different story. Doubt it would be worded like that though.

@Trion is right - she definitely has a right to their family home. On the other hand, her dad’s money isn’t his to be shared. Legally it won’t be the same.

1 Like

Ok thanks for that. The will just worded that the 2 daughter’s receive it. So if she does decide to go for the jugular then he’s a pretty big strife.

I don’t know Australian inheritance law but I’m pretty sure that if that money from the dad isn’t in a trust for her and her sister and she takes receipt of it while she’s still married to him he can make a claim to half of her half.

If she just gets a lump sum while he’s married to her he has a claim, will or not I think.

Definitely worth looking into for him if things get nasty.

3 Likes

I think I remember reading that my ex wife would have been entitled to part of an inheritance I received from my great uncle when he passed away and it made me shake.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly, it has to be in a trust or else he is entitled to it.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl: seriously? WTF bro who the fuck writes these laws

1 Like

I think it’s worse that people don’t know that these are the laws :grimacing:

Edit: in some cases they can even make a claim on the inheritance AFTER the divorce as well

2 Likes

Jesus Christ this is all news to me.

Marriage is all about sharing everything with your partner though, emotionally, physically and economically.

I find it odd though that you could be married to somebody for a very short period of time and they are entitled to all your family’s inheritance.

Yeah if you don’t sign a pre-nup then everything is fair game, and in the US in some cases a judge can actually overrule a pre-nup as well.

Only way to avoid exposing yourself to that risk is to just not get married.

1 Like

I’ll never get married again.

8 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Lawyers who have a business model reliant on making those laws difficult and costly to navigate.

2 Likes

Everything you acquire during the marriage is split between the two, that’s how I know it. That’s why it’s best to get rich and buy everything you own before getting married :wink:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t there be a requirement that the spouse is a dependent for it to be a claim?

There should be, but it isn’t always like that

Nope.

I’ve been struggling to define what marriage actually is or what it’s meant to be in practice.

This helps

1 Like

Sharing experiences too. Which is the best part >>>>> :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Marriage is shit. Regret it already. Not sure why but I get this nagging feeling she’s planning to rob me blind for half of my possessions.

3 Likes