The relationship between football and betting companies

Parliament will end up giving the bookies a tax break and taking out a £65 billion loan to give customers 1p back on their losing bets. Most of which will end up in the hands of Tory donors with shares in the bookies.

3 Likes

It’s not happening any more, so nothing to get involved with.

It will happen again I’d they don’t.

What should they stop though? They’re not going to ban gambling’s association with football.

And anyway. Maybe I’m in the minority here, although it’s morally wrong to profit from your fans’ losing bets, as a fan - I’d rather my money go to my club than to Sky :woman_shrugging:

Only issue is if the clubs are pressuring their fans to bet. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. The league is sponsored by Sky Bet, so the advertising will be there regardless of this affiliate deal.

Probably not, no. But they can certainly look to limit it’s visibility within sports in the same way various countries have done with tobacco and alcohol over the last few years.

Depends on what pressure means though right? To you or me providing a link with a fiver free bet will not feel like pressure and to someone with an issue it’s a trigger and could set them off. I don’t think clubs are out to harm fans here, I’m sure skybet (and anyone else who might follow) dressed it up very nicely and made it sound like everyone is a winner but with a tiny bit of analysis it’s clear that isn’t the case.

1 Like

Alcohol should be next

1 Like

It’s the half-time adverts and podcast adverts that are more effective. They literally ram betting ads down your throat, especially during HT where they broadcast odds for the second half. Still a good move though.

6 Likes

BET IN PLAY NAAAAAAOW

1 Like

On the topic of shirt sponsorships…

2 Likes

Interesting, reminds me of this:

2 Likes

Uploaded same one twice in error, have now edited the post to add in the one from 92/93 so my post provides the intended comparison.

This really is fascinating @Bavin, what a find.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mgaskell12/status/1666849298577850368?t=Rpizd2I__vKU4cawuZOLiQ&s=19

3 Likes

Can only respect that and the manner in which he is doing it.
Helping a charity out as well. That’s integrity.

3 Likes

He loves being in the limelight thought dont he!

I remember him kicking off in every available media outlet when he was replaced as ITVs head commentator.

I think he’s right to use the limelight to highlight this though.

Is he?

We accepted betting companies in football years and years ago

Speaking up now? Hes just trying to get his face out there again. Loves it.

You know I had the same initial thought and after a short bit of thought flipped it to thinking more why now. We don’t know his personal circumstances or what specifically may have changed to prompt this decision. He is easily more exposed as a talksport commentator than stepping away from the role anyway so I don’t think the theory holds out tbh.

There’s no way he should of been dropped for that drone Matterface.
He’s actually put himself in the background and not calling anyone out on this.
Actively doing something here. As for football accepting betting sponsorship, think we can see the detrimental aspect on individuals since it’s become more prevalent.