Tennis

Federer is losing steam and that’s despite skipping the clay season also. To still finish top 4 in the world at 37 is a huge achievement though. How many more seasons in him ? 2 or 3 ?

Djokovic is near unbeatable at the minute the way he’s playing on a hard court, could well see him shoot to 16 slams by the end of 2019 if this carries on.

1 Like

Think we’ve seen the last of Federer winning any of the slams.

1 Like

Too early to write him off just yet for me, still has a pretty good chance at Australia and is always a a favourite for Wimbledon. But won’t be winning the French and most likely not the US open either.

Djokovic looks like he’s going to dominate 2019.

I think Wimbledon is his only hope now but yeah I wouldn’t be expecting it. He did get to the magical 20 in Australia this year though which was good.

JMDP to miss the rest of the season with a fractured patella I think, seriously unlucky with injuries this bloke, the lucky player than finishes 9th will take his place in the world tour finals in London.

Damn shame after the year he has had but I suppose he’s just happy that he’s now back in the mix.

Now Isner or Nishikori will make it, Coric has an outside chance too.

1 Like

Federer claims his 99th career title by winning Basel for what I think is the 9th time.

1 Like

Nadal withdraws from the Paris to all but hand the end of season World no 1 ranking to Novak Djokovic.

Djokovic beats Federer in an epic semi final at the Paris masters, Federer got the only break for the match but it wasn’t enough.

Karen Khachanov Beats Djokovic to win the Paris masters title. What a week for him beating 4 top 10 players in Isner, Zverev, Thiem & Djokovic.

1 Like

End of season finals so far, Anderson beat Theim, Kei rolled Federer and Zverev in two breakers over Cilic.

1 Like

Djokovic put on a clinic tonight in how to return serve, he’s the best returner the game has seen.

Made Isner’s serve look fairly ordinary which is just insane.

1 Like

Fed bounces back with a routine win over Thiem. And his conqueror loses to Anderson…

1 Like

I’m going to the finals later this week and if I was at the Anderson Nishikori match I’d be asking for a refund.

Awful , awful match.

1 Like

I had to check the Anderson vs Kei scores twice when I woke up, apparently Kei wasn’t injured either which makes the score baffling.

1 Like

Very hard to see anyone beating Djokovic in this end of season finals, simply looks a cut above anyone since Wimbledon.

1 Like

Federer beats Anderson 6-4 6-3 to progress along with Anderson to the Semi Finals… the big question is top spot decided on head to head or games W/ L ? Federer will hope it’s the former as that way he’ll avoid Nole in the SF.

1 Like

Big upset in the Final, Alexander Zverev beats Djokovic 6-4 6-3.

2 Likes

The big aim for Zverev now is to consolidate his position by winning a GS in 2019. Winning the end of season title is a great achievement for him at his age but the true measure of his progress will be how he performs in the major tournaments next year.

It’s about time somebody from the newer generations of players stepped up to take the shine away from RF, Rafa and Djok.

I don’t envisage Murray doing anything of note in 2019 and think his days as an elite player are well and truly over. He’ll be 32 next year and coming off the back of a few seasons worth of injuries now and I don’t see a RF, Rafa and Djok style comeback from injuries and poor form.

1 Like

That’s the next step but it’s so insanely hard to win a major in best of five, Clay is currently his best surface and he ain’t beating Rafa at RG.

Huge win for him over Djokovic though, bringing in Lendl was very astute and is paying off already. Djokovic still the man to beat in 2019 despite the two recent final losses, I think he needs a rest too as he’s played a lot of tennis since going on his run. He’ll be the favourite for the Australian Open.

As for Murray it depends, getting hip surgery is a huge procedure for normal folk let alone someone who competes in such a physical sport at the highest level. By all accounts it went very well but we’ll see how he moves now after ending the season early, he may need to change his game and be more aggressive than be used to be to shorten points. The way he has played for his whole career takes a huge toll on the body, he’ll probably be much more selective with his schedule too.

2 Likes