NFL

The irony of you saying our fans are toxic but in the next sentence saying our club deserves nothing other than failure :facepalm:

4 Likes

Not every fan is toxic so yeah ur right the entire club doesnt deserve failure, but itā€™s what ur gonna get anyways :joy::joy:

Most of the fanbase are not interested in the NFL. Come on bit of perspective.

Apart from the stuff Arsenal fans are shouting, owners are actually pretty visible when it comes to the NFL. Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, Khan. They do put themselves on the forefront tbh. More than in other sports I feel like.

I didnā€™t expected that. :arteta:

Thatā€™s because itā€™s an owners league. Just look what happened with Kaepernick. That wouldā€™ve never happened in the NBA, but then again, most NBA players wouldnā€™t need to do it at a game because they are encouraged to speak out and they would do it on a different platform. The NFL owners have all the power. They can blacklist a player very easily. Players are controlled. It always surprises me when a talented athlete who could go pro in American Football or the Basketball or Baseball decide to go to the NFL. I donā€™t get it. Better contracts, better long-term financial rewards and a better chance at playing professionally for more than a decade without severe head injuries. For me, Iā€™d choose the other sport.

1 Like

Dead sport anyways.

Itā€™s ironic that as the BBC increase coverage and it looks like the NFL is as popular overseas as it has ever been, that audiences at home are switching off.

Parents donā€™t want their kids to play football at school either anymore after all the CTE stuff came out, and the future talent pool will be hugely reduced.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/08/28/high-school-football-participation-continues-to-drop-as-concerns-over-cost-injuries-persist/

Then of course they pissed a lot of people off with the Kaepernick thing

1 Like

Reality is ratings are up for the NFL throughout the regular season. Would take SB rating with a pinch of salt too considering the variables

Comment about the talent pool is really true either tbh. Kaep thing hasnā€™t affected the league beyond minor superficial isdues

Indeed, hence why itā€™s hard to separate (the visibility of) Kroenke from the Rams and it makes some sense to give him shit.

Not everybody can be Chris Paul though. Lot of players in the NFL simply donā€™t have the height. Hard to say why the percentage of black players have declined in the MLB.

Kyler Murray - just this year he chose to enter the NFL draft after being drafted by the Oakland Aā€™s. Itā€™s mind-boggling. He had $4.6 million waiting for him. All he had to do was choose to turn up for spring training. He was the overall 6th pick. When you consider health, longevity, the difference in contracts and play power, etc, you have to really love football to choose it over baseball.

Only one - Tom Brady.

Sounds about right this morally corrupt organisation

Show more respect to Kraft, one of the few billions who uses his means to promote Social justice and raise awareness

:arteta: I fucking love you sev

Any of our American posters followed a team who franchised out to another city? Did you continue to follow them if so? Would teams who do tend to lose most of the existing fan base?

Donā€™t just mean NFL but easier to post it in this thread.

@Aussiegooner could give some info on this with the Sydney swans who were moved from Melbourne I think. Leave it to the main man.

1 Like

The Sydney Swans formally South Melbourne relocated to Sydney in the early 80s so was slightly before my time. I must say they have a fairly good following from old South Melbourne fans everytime they can to play in Melbourne, so it seems they managed to maintain a fair chunk of the pre existing fan base.

Another case was Fitzroy merging with the Brisbane Bears in the mid 90s, that formed the Brisbane Lions. Not as as many Fitzroy fans followed that particular move as it was more or less a Brisbane takeover. Lots of Fitzroy fans at the time just selected another Melbourne based club to support.

1 Like

What about me? The Raiders and Rams both left Los Angeles in 1996 I think. I was bitter af and really started hating the Rams. They won a couple super bowls in that time and I cheered for them to lose both. My dad on the other hand, a fan of the LA Rams since 1954, still followed them as his team and cheered on their super bowl wins. Of course heā€™s well chuffed that they are back in town. And now I can follow them along with him again. We were both pretty bummed after that no show against the patriots in the last super bowl.

Raiders have been shit but they at least stayed in California so I kept following them albeit not very closely. Now they are off to Las Vegas and we have the Rams back so meh to the Raiders.

Antonio Brown to the Patriots lol. 4th straight Super Bowl incoming?