The Labour Party

Bloody hell lol, that escalated quickly! All I did was try and diagnose the Labour Party, 80 odd posts later it’s all about cock.

5 Likes

There’s a long term trend of The Labour Party being disconnected from the working classes. Labour started through it’s unions and the unions have died off. New Labour didn’t do hardly anything for employment rights or labour bargaining rights. They haven’t offered anything for decades for actual workers.

Go back to what worked for Labour - increase employment rights and offer more to workers:

Higher minimum wage

Legal guaranteed annual minimum salary percentage increase under the top 10% that is significantly above inflation - so 8-10% year on year - so no one is left behind

Other employment rights - so all that nonsense at the likes of Amazon/Sports Direct becomes criminal

High minimum redundancies/pensions

Importantly make both companies and their directors liable to huge fines if they don’t comply with these laws

It’s the simple promise that you’ll make workers richer than they were instead of matching the Tories promise to increase the gap between rich and poor.

In the 70s/80s you had the working classes voting Tory because they weren’t part of the Unions and they had no gain from voting Labour. My policies would see every worker benefited by voting Labour and it would turn Labour back to The Labour Party.

2 Likes

Anyone watch any of the first Labour Party Hustings. Jess Phillips hopelessly out of her depth, she can barely speak, like watching a dinner lady getting teary eyed, talking about cabbages.
Starmer seems alright but a bit lacklustre. Nandy just dreary. RBL and Thornberry surprisingly the most polished.

I caught the last fifteen minutes or so, basically the closing statements. It all felt a bit lacklustre to be honest.

Who do you hope wins?

I don’t particularly care.

I was kind of hoping one of them might provide a viable alternative to the hard left, maybe Starmer or Nandy, but I didn’t hear anything from either that went beyond soundbite, very light on ideas, no particular sign that they would listen to the core vote. Of all of them the most polished and detailed was Long Bailey so maybe I’ll vote for her. Don’t see her winning an election however.

Open selections are a monumental mistake. It’s well intended in theory but in practice could damage the Party’s ability to govern/retain power in the long term.

It’s a short term move which is overly generous to placate the base

I like the idea as more democracy is better, and in long term I think it would reduce PLP infighting and keep MPs honest to their base. The problem is that the base happens to be the middle class types so it wont help to reconnect with the lost voters. So it’s a tricky one, probably for the party, on it’s current course it’s a wise move. But for people like you and I who would like the party to be working class oriented again, well I think that’s a pipe dream anyway.

1 Like

As someone who voted who voted for Corbyn to become Labour Leader, I’m backing Starmer. The experiment is over, Labour need to get back to winning elections and Starmer has that intelligence, gravitas and appeal. I’d love a female labour leader but competency comes before gender.

4 Likes

Whoa that’s a pretty bold statement there, sounds like something a misogynist would say.

1 Like

Ha. No.

1 Like

I agree, and am nominally backing Starmer, but found this article quite interesting anyway

2 Likes

It’s almost like there’s an important historical reason for that.

Man, Lisa Nandy is really really shit.

RLB is shit yes, but Nandy, fuck me. She’s not even leader and she’s pissed off all of Scotland (who all the Labour candidates seem to think is the key to GE success - when even if every scottish seat went labour in 2010, 2015, 2017, 2019 they would still have lost.)

But still, she certainly seems to enjoy pissing people off. Is that all that Labour’s mission is these days? Piss off as many people as possible?

It really is Keir Starmer or the mud. He’s not particularly impressive as a campaigner I guess, and doesn’t excite the dipshits as much as RLB does, but it just has to be him.

Yeah he’s the best choice, but I can’t bring myself to vote for him. It’s back to the wilderness of hating all the parties again.

3 Likes

The Labour Party has gone full crazy now I don’t understand what’s going on there. It’s like a race to see who is more out of touch with society. Well prepare for another 4/5 years of Tory government

1 Like

The Torries won’t call one until 2024 anyway

I think that alot of Labour figures in the membership and PLP see the exposure and prominence of the Democratic Party’s “squad” particularly AOC and want to replicate that here with a similar leftist platform.

The culture of identity politics within the party is corrosive tbh

None of these people have the nous and balls of AOC though.

She’s kind of calmed down on that stuff now and focused on the things majority of Americans care about, like free healthcare.

The left here seem to be hell-bent on making this kind of identity politics front and centre of their campaigning despite knowing full well like 80% of the country couldn’t care less or hate that stuff.

3 Likes

My impression of the Labour manifesto and campaign of 2019 wasn’t that identity politics was put front and centre. I feel like the NHS, other public services, economic issues, a green new deal and nationalisation of rail and broadband (lol) were more the kind of thing that the focus seemed to be on.

Not saying there was nothing related to “identity politics” of course, but I don’t feel it was central to the election strategy necessarily.