General News

They should probably pay a fee or something but millions of people a year get to see things in the British Museum and I think the world shouldn’t lose that.

1 Like

To the victors go the spoils.

I take a fairly old school stance on the kind of stuff. I think it’s important to have a lot of these artefacts and relics centralised in places where people can see and learn about them.

1 Like

This could also be a reason why this stuff should go back. Since it could help tourism to Africa and add in the (economic) growth.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a valid argument.

It’s also important to not steal from people. They do not belong to the British museum and should be returned to the Island. At the end of the day the British have no claim to the artefact. If they wish to keep them at the museum they should, as has been stated above, negotiate with the islanders and pay a fee.

2 Likes

Tourism is not the key to economic empowerment for any developing nations. It should account for very little in a properly managed economy.

Britain has a habbit for taking stuff that doesn’t belong to them :giroud:

We have so many developing nations benefiting majorly because of Tourism.

I didn’t state that at all. Just that it can help towards growth and development of those countries.

I’m pretty sure that tourism is the only income that Easter Island has :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m have mixed feelings on this…If country who its going back too can ensure its safe keeping then yes, but if not then no. Why give IS more stuff to smash up. A lot of this type of stuff probably wouldn’t exist if not for where it’s been kept anyway.

I’ve read the reason they want it back is because the ones they have keep getting damaged by weather or falling over.

Also how far do we go back? This Country has faced its fare share of plundering do we get that all back too, what about the Germans, the French, the Dutch and the Italians… look at Alexander the Great, I’m sure he was of the opinion possession is the gift to the victor.
The Spanish would definitely have a lot of stuff to return judging by their actions from centuries ago so by todays standards and sensibilities it’s just not going to work.

2 Likes

When I visit the British Museum I actually think thank fuck we did steal it all. Sounds harsh, but most of it would be long destroyed if left in the country of origin.

2 Likes

Have you got any particular examples to cite? Examples that represent the majority of what was taken I mean, not that one or two items that would likely have been destroyed.

Like some others, I’m very much torn on this matter. My left wing vibes take me in a certain direction, but like others, I seriously question the practical realities of returning all the treasures that were literally stolen.

Agreed, where do you start and where do you stop?

What’s the statute of limitations on the spoils of war?

Are the vikings gonna have to give shit back? What about the Assyrians and the Mesopotamians? What about the Iranians after the Iran-Iraq war? Or all the other fucking wars where people have taken shit from each other?

It’s just because it’s so in to hate on white people and the dominance white culture has had historically for the past 300 years.

It’s not like we’re over in Egypt or Sourh America right now plundering their tombs, this is stuff that happened hundreds of years ago.

Of course I wouldn’t be cool with us looting culturally valuable artefacts in countries now as we know better in this day and age but I really don’t give a shit about a bust or obelisk or whatever that was taken back in 1802. Tough, get over it.

True but those people evidently do.

Maybe that’s a decent statute of limitations.

If the people who you took that thing from ask for it back, then maybe you should give it back.

In any case, I think the Easter Island people are only asking for a loan, right?

Surely that shouldn’t be much if an issue?

1 Like

It’s got nothing to do with the white part and everything to do with the dominance part.

Technically we didn’t take anything from them and technically they didn’t have anything taken from them since everyone involved is long dead.

And do they even have the capacity to properly care for these items?

British museums are absolutely world class and have some of the best infrastructure in place in the world for caring for and exhibiting these priceless artefacts.

As long as the object will be safe after being returned then we should return it. But I’d rather have historical items being kept in pristine condition than sent home to degrade.

Depends on the original purpose of the item I guess.

If it’s a sacred thing to be worshipped or visited in their land, it’s not doing much good in the museum.

But if it’s purpose is to be permanently preserved so that it can be gawked at for eternity, then it’s better off where it is.

But I guess by this logic I should steal my neighbour’s BMW, cos I got a nice garage and parking for it, meaning it won’t corrode over time in the winter, while he parks it on the street like a savage.

1 Like

Ugh, you had to go there and make white people sound like they’re persecuted against when the topic of discussion is actually how particular cultures/nations were robbed (however long ago). Literally how are you making white people the victims in this context?

If you wonder why “it’s so in to hate on white people” these days, it’s probably in part due to sentences like the one quoted.

4 Likes