General News

:snowflake:

I’m pretty sure it’s the polar opposite of glorifying war.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not big on the whole hero worship thing of the armed forces but that’s ridiculous

1 Like

Remembrance Sunday and the whole poppy thing has certainly been co-opted by some people to help glorify war. There’s certainly an element of it that I find somewhat distasteful.

But I still respect the moment of silence and take time to think about those who made the ultimate sacrifice for just causes, and those who served with the best of intentions. If we stop doing that then we really do hand over “ownership” of the event to those who are jingoistic and want to glorify the British Armed forces and all that they’ve done.

So I can’t really get behind this. But I would also add that I’d like to read the whole article, because the part that I’ve read (due to the pay wall) absolutely does not suggest that they are trying to ban Remembrance Sunday, what they’ve done is vote against a motion tabled by members of the Conservative union/group who are saying the university should be doing more to actively promote Remembrance Sunday. Without knowing more about what that promotion would look like I’m going to withold judgement.

2 Likes

I tend to think that things like remembrance sunday are going to get hijacked big time by the pro Brexit brigade this year.

Looks like you’ve nailed it

Looks like standard right wing stuff and I’d probably agree with the SU.

1 Like

@sevchenko thought you’d like this article, the kind of leaders the world needs to get back on track.

Hope he stays safe

3 Likes

Eh?

Saudi really made a mess when they decided to kill Jamal Khashoggi. It’s sad that outside of boycotting this upcoming future trade show they had coming, absolutely nobody will do anything to sanction the Saudi regime.

1 Like

Interesting

Wonder if this will be classed as terrorism?! Hmm

Defs Alan Sugar

1 Like

He was my first thought too in fairness. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine too :arteta:

Everyone who names someone is gonna get OA Sued !!! :shushing_face:

1 Like

Somehow I’m not worried

1 Like

Green, Sugar and Ashley are basically the only “Leading UK businessmen” that I would consider newsworthy.

Then again if it’s the Telegraph themselves publishing it they’re probably more likely to make it seem like it’s someone more interesting than it actually is. The unnamed footballer was certainly more interesting than Ryan Giggs.

1 Like

Add Richard Branson to that for sure

4 Likes

First thought was Branson. Always thought he had a hint of pervert about him, starts company and names it “Virgin” :eyes:

1 Like