General News

and EPICALLY failed!

And she is the head of our governmentā€¦ā€¦.What a fuckin state this country is inā€¦jeezā€¦ā€¦.

Actually one of her better speeches, and much better than the shambles of a speech by Boris yesterday. Still lacking in detail though, and her words mean very little with no action

Choice of music is on point. :ok_hand:

Yeahā€¦ Iā€™d still trade you.

Where you peeps rate Putin among the most influential villains in human history?

3 Likes

Right along there with Jodie Foster.

Seriously have you seen Contact?

One of my favourite films!

Nope, so I canā€™t tell what you mean by Jodie foster remark.

I was not alive when Hitler and Stalin were around, nor do i live in Russia so therefore I cannot comment eitherā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying that this is the thing you should take away from this article, the most outrageous thing here, but it struck me as odd.

The description the prosecutor used, ā€œwhite Jihadā€. I feel like weā€™ve already got some pretty good words to describe scum like National Action and their behaviour, like fascism, thatā€™s a pretty good one. Neo-Nazis is another. Iā€™m not quite sure why he felt the need to bring Islamic extremism into it, as if we arenā€™t well equipped enough already to understand this kind of thing without reference to Islam. As if white people donā€™t have their own lengthy history of acting like religious and racial bigots lol.

Iā€™m not chastising him, maybe he looked at the jury and thought they were ignorant and that the most effective way to make his point was to compare it to something theyā€™d all ā€œhave a good understanding ofā€. I guess I just havenā€™t got to a point where I can happily accept that itā€™s somehow necessary to describe violent white nationalism by principally referring to Islam.

Heā€™s (the judge) has perhaps meant it as a term ā€œto give your life for a questionable causeā€. He could have said white kamikaze as well but, as you say, he probably wanted to coin a contemporary phrase.

Wouldnā€™t read too much into the islamification of it if Iā€™m honest

1 Like

It was the prosecutor, not the judge. A point only worth making because a judge wouldnā€™t be trying to sway the jury in this manner.

Yeah as I said, Iā€™m not laying into him, Iā€™m just describing where my mind went when I read the phrase. There could be a perfectly valid reason after all, but something about it still seems odd to me, and faintly depressing.

Sos

1 Like

I think itā€™s because the connotations of jihad are much more negative in western society than for example crusade.

A feminist goes on a crusade, a teacher goes on a crusade for their students, students go on a crusade for their student fees etc.

A jihad however is much worse. Itā€™s suicide bombers. Itā€™s the taliban. Itā€™s al qaeda. Itā€™s 9/11, itā€™s 7/7, itā€™s Nice and Berlin and Paris and Manchester and Brussels and Madrid. Itā€™s evil Muslims killing people in the name of their belief.

So, from what I can understand, associating these neo nazis with jihad is going to have way more of an impact and impression on the jury than if theyā€™d used another word like crusade or whatever.

It is a shame isnā€™t it, I guess that shows the kind of unbelievable success the Western propaganda machine has had, so that people have to employ this kind of doublethink to get their point across and stir the right emotion in others.

Its the Muslamic rayguns we need to worry about peopleā€¦

1 Like