General News

So I can carve a Giroud mural into the wall without a landlord evicting me for criminal damage

4 Likes

Comes in pretty handy if you own a lot of them and rent them out. :wink:

1 Like

I certainly understand it as a business.

Itā€™s psychological mainly.

Owning your own home is a pretty meaningful thing.

I get that people find it meaningful. Iā€™m saying I donā€™t understand why.

It about equity and security.

A house is the most expensive thing most ordinary people will ever own. Owning your own home is a milestone in life which symbolises years of hard work.

I can think of many things Iā€™d rather spend that money on :slight_smile:

Plus I move very often. I get itchy feet.

Like paying rent?

Renting sucks, I hate the idea of using my hard earned money to pay somebodyā€™s else mortgage whilst being contrained by tenancy agreements.

Personally Iā€™d be much happier paying off my own mortgage payments for my own place.

but I get it, some people are into the nomadic thing which is fair enough if youā€™re in your 20s but when you get older you will need stability and security

8 Likes

Seems to be a much bigger thing here than a lot of other countries.

Iā€™m 42 mate. Iā€™ve been here only two years, and Iā€™m already looking into moving :slight_smile:

Oh shit, wasnā€™t aware. Fair doā€™s

Not to mention itā€™s an asset that can be passed down generations and give the next generation of your family something to build upon in this brutal capitalistic money grabbing society.

4 Likes

Jules itā€™s probably because you can rent a place for years and then move and have fuck all to show for it. If you own a property and decide to move all the money youā€™ve been paying to live there then represents an investment, and you get something back. You arenā€™t at the mercy of some cunt landlord who might neglect the property you live in or kick you out forcing you into moving. Perhaps if there were stricter rules governing landlords Iā€™d feel differently, but thereā€™s no sign of that happening. Plus mortgage repayments are cheaper than rent in most cases.

Iā€™d have thought itā€™s pretty obvious why people want to own the property they live in.

5 Likes

I guess if you have children, the mindset will be different.

1 Like

I think that depends on whereabouts you live. Iā€™ve never had issues with landlords.

This seems to be more of an issue when you live in an urban area.

eeesh. Horrible for his family

I know. I was just making a statement.

I think people only see value in it because of the financial security that comes along with it. My parents bought their house in 1968 for like $30,000, and itā€™s worth upwards of $850,000 now. My dad never made a ton of money but because of the house they owned they were able to provide for all 5 of us without my mom ever working. In fact they refinanced their home a couple years back, pulled out $100,000 and their house payment actually went down $200 per month :joy: Anyways really itā€™s just about as sound of an investment as you can make.

^ This.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/990698278256873473

1 Like