General News

And yet it’ll be believed by a large section of our society.

2 Likes

That is what I’m saying.
I’ve got no problem with people who follow it but the organisations, or businesses, that perpetuate the lies and hypocrisy are the people who I’m criticising.

It’s their blatant lies that for centuries have seen them wield power and get rich from the poor and vulnerable.

yet you still believe faith in something is still about a man in a dress conducting ridiculous ceremonies, hence why I’m calling you ignorant.

How is it ignorant when it’s true?

I broadly agree, but there comes a point where you have to reckon with the organisation or body that you support/follow/give allegiance to and decide whether you can in good conscience continue to do so. You dont get to eternally claim ignorance or deny any responsibility for who you choose to follow or support.

For example, the Catholic Church. No Catholic has any excuse to not know about the Catholic Church’s longstanding and widespread habit of protecting paedophile priests and further endangering innocent children by hushing up cases of sexual abuse of children, and not only failing to sack the priest, but instead quietly moving him to another community where he can endanger more children!

Any Catholic who chooses to continue to respect the Pope and more widely the church as being the representative of God on earth can not do so while claiming ignorance of the systemic abuse of children and its covering up.

Sure, individual Catholics arent directly responsible, that would be the clergy, but there comes a point where they need to ask themselves whether they can continue to support and legitimise an organisation that’s rotten to the core. There are hundreds of denominations of Christianity that don’t systematically cover up the sexual abuse of children, it’s not like there aren’t other options for following the teachings of Christ that dont require you to reluctantly tolerate child abuse.

There comes a point where Catholics no longer get to claim innocence and deflect criticisms by saying they’re just a follower and not the people committing these atrocities, not when they refuse to disavow the Church and continue to support it, whether spiritually or financially (often both).

6 Likes

Fuck off with that nonsense. That’s the problem with people like you have no understanding about peoples faith. One’s faith doesn’t reside in the priest or the pope. It’s like saying Muslim should have a good think about Islam since some bombers are follow the religion. Your faith is something the is intrinsic to you and is not hinged on who leads your sermon. As they say “my faith is between myself and god.” If one question his faith because there was a wolf between the lambs then they never had faith in the first place. Now those in charge that failed to excommunicate the perpetrators and get them charged should take a look at themselves. Sorry but why should some one that has no involvement in fucking kids be criticized fir fucking kids? When do we start criticizing a whole group of people for the actions of a few? Or is it just guilt by association just for the fact they are Catholics?

3 Likes

I didn’t say people who don’t abuse kids should be criticised for abusing kids, I think they deserve criticism for continuing to support an organisation that institutionally covers up the abuse of children, and in doing so indirectly helping to perpetuate that abuse. That’s a different criticism, and not the same as criticising them for “fucking kids” when they haven’t done that. I explicitly said that individual Catholics are not personally responsible, but that I feel that they should be evaluating whether they wish to support and be a member of an organisation that has been doing this for decades and continues to do so.

No, it really isn’t. The Catholic Church is an organisation with a hierarchical structure and a leader who claims to literally be God’s chosen representative on earth, thus giving them the authority to set policy.

Like Christianity, Islam is a body of ideas, not a monolithic organisation with a single leader who sets policy. If I had blamed Christianity as a set of beliefs for the fact that children get abused, then that would be the same as blaming Islam for suicide bombers, and that would be wrong. There is no directly comparable institution in Islam to the Catholic Chirch, but if there was, and they covered up acts of terrorism and helped terrorists to continue to commit acts of violence then I would criticise that organisation and anyone who continued to follow it, in the same way I do Catholicism and child abuse.

What I did instead was criticise an organisation that for decades has had a policy of hushing up child abuse and perpetuating it by moving nonce priests to a new parish where nobody knows what their sick predilictions are. Any organisation, religious or otherwise, deserves criticism for such actions, and by extension, people who consider themselves part of that organisation, or a follower or supporter of it, need to think long and hard about continuing to be associated with it. I’m not saying people need to reconsider their Christian faith or belief in the teachings of Christ because intrinsic in it is an encouragement to abuse children, as I said, there are hundreds and hundreds of Christian churches or denominations that don’t abuse children and hush it up.

If that is true, then it shouldn’t be a big deal to stop supporting the Catholic Church while it continues to perpetuate child abuse and in the mean time continue your relationship with your God on a personal level without the need for the Catholic Church to be involved.

Or perhaps the Church plays a bigger role in how people practice their religion than you are willing to acknowledge for the purposes of your current argument.

2 Likes

My point being you do have a problem having faith because you are mocking their beliefs by bringing it down to a level of listening to a man in a dress conducting ridiculous ceremonies.
If that’s what you think having faith is then frankly that is a ignorant attitude.
Like I said im not religious and I’m fully aware what religious organisations have perpetuated around the world during the history of humankind, but what you are saying is what every Christian, Jew, Muslim ,Hindu and all the other world religions believe is a pile of nonsense.

More to the point as you live in a secular society I don’t see how it affects you because you choose not to have it in your life .
You seem to have the same attitude towards “wokeness” and the ridicule you attach to it, but the world changes with every generation and we all move along with it, the religion you call nonsense isn’t the Spanish inquisition anymore.

By the way I’m having a go at your views in a friendly way like I do with your view’s on Spurs and Conte, I like you as a poster so please don’t take what I say in a bad way :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree with what you are saying @JakeyBoy ,but until you actually live in a Catholic country you’ll realise it’s something that’s never going to happen, it’s ingrained in everyone’s dna.
Even in a secular society th Church has a role to play, people get married in a church, you get buried in a church etc

You advocate left wing politics, but if the Labour Party had a few racists and paedophiles would you continue to support it?

Everyone will have a different view on religion and politics and as far as I’m concerned both these organisations have been the cause of too much for people like us to solve.

1 Like

I’m still bewildered that there are people who will obfuscate, excuse and defend paedophilia.

I was saving this example/hypothetical for a future post.

If I was a member of the Labour Party (not that it really matters, but I never have been) and the Labour Party as an organisation had hidden child abuse perpetuated by its MPs for decades by moving them to new constituencies so they could continue their behaviour, I would absolutely withdraw my membership and all financial support.

In an alternate universe in which the above hypothetical is true, there’s no way Ryan would call me out for saying that Labour supporters needed to really ask themselves whether this is an organisation they can continue to support.

But asking me if I’d continue to support Labour if they had “a few racists and paedophiles” feels like a false equivalence to be honest, that isn’t what we are talking about here in the case of the Catholic Church, which undeniably had an institutional problem with child abuse, not just “a few paedophiles”

2 Likes

I think most people in their right mind would withdraw their support for any organisation that supports child abuse, and its why I don’t have any time for the church, because of the history of abuse on all levels its perpetuated.

What I was attempting to say to @InvincibleDB10 was the need to differentiate between a belief in a faith, it’s church and whatever God they follow.
We can all call out the church and it’s leaders, but to ridicule someone because they have a belief in something however archaic is an insult to their intelligence.

1 Like

I take your point about ridiculing people.
But often religion will look down on and sometimes mock people who don’t believe in it, so it does work both ways.

Like a lot of kids, I went to a church school and was taught religion from an early age so didn’t know any different until I was older and saw through it.

I have got several religious friends and they’re fine because they don’t force it on others.
But as I said, I don’t agree with how organised religion is still a big part of the education system, especially in places like America where schools in certain states still teach creationism rather than evolution, which only perpetuates centuries of misinformation.

Likewise, especially as you’re also a musician. :grinning:

1 Like

Arsenal fans like :santi:

2 Likes

This guy :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Not gonna read all that from man who can’t be bothered to wear a tie

1 Like

Honestly if he didn’t buy into the crisis actor thing, some of his views would have some grounding/merit.

Not going to knock him for being out spoken about his views, there’s alot of people who think like him on COVID but in this case it’s easy to see he gets things from obscure sources and runs with it regardless

His Ukraine comments are insane though

I find it shocking he drinks Malibu

1 Like

I found myself agreeing with a lot of that :slight_smile:

I don’t drink usually either, but when I do it’s Malibu + Coke :slight_smile:

He’s bang on if you ignore all of the things he says that are fucking mental.

1 Like

You can hear people with same views as Le Tissier in any pub that serves Malibu in pints. :grinning:

Same goes for men too. A lot of people would benefit from some form of hormone replacement therapy as they get older. It could genuinely save lives not only from a physical health perspective but also a mental health perspective.