General News

Looking forward to reading this when Iā€™m 114

2 Likes

On the one hand Iā€™m sure this is just some long standing royal protocol. On the other in my mind his will is just a line that says: ā€œParisā€ and this clip:

The University of St Andrews has been ranked the top university in the United Kingdom for the first time.

Situated in Fife, the uni tops The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022, published on Friday.

It is the first time in the near 30-year history of the definitive Guide, and UK university league tables in general, that a university other than Oxford or Cambridge has topped the rankings.

Founded in 1413, St Andrews is the oldest university in Scotland and the third oldest in the English speaking world and has consistently been in the top three of the Times and Sunday Times Guide in recent years.

1 Like

Iā€™m beating all the other Englishmen to it by calling this fake news :joy:

1 Like

Nonsense. This just means itā€™s a British university until it drops down the rankings, then it becomes Scottish again. Thatā€™s how it works.

2 Likes

ā€œWe apologise, and we will endeavour to learn from this horrible mistake.ā€

1 Like

Aside from Israel and Saudi Arabia I think the U.S.ā€™s reputation abroad is fully down the shitter at this point.

1 Like

3 Likes

The Gabby Petito story is mad.

A YouTuber(nomadic statik)/Instagram travel influencer goes on a vacation with her boyfriend Brian. They do their influencing and upload a youtube video. #Vanlife
The White Van is the focus of their trip.

However, during the vacation, they have some fights/arguments. One of the arguments was while the bf was driving and a police officer saw them driving incoherently and hitting the curb. Pulls them over, the girl is crying but assures it was just her distracting him.

I donā€™t know the timelines but think after few days, the bf comes home alone and refuses to tell where Gabby is.
Someone found the White Van(Looks so morbid now) and now the FBI suggest they have probably found her remains.
Meanwhile, Brian has ā€˜disappearedā€™.

Women really need to bail out at the slightest hint of aggression. She had the chance when they got pulled over.

1 Like

From the police officers bodycam footage she was the aggressor and had scratched his face and he arm and was bleeding, I think she even admits to it. Seemed like a toxic relationship. The police actually separated them for a night and put the bf in a hotel while she stayed in the van. That seems strange tho because from what I understand the police should have arrested someone when there is bodily damage like that. If the police had done their job they probably arrest her and she calls her parents to bail her out and maybe this is averted. Althoughā€¦if that dood had it in him to snap like that it was probably inevitable.

2 Likes

Does seem like both of them were too immature & unstable.
Regardless the toxicity should have been restrained to just keying his car or farting in her pillow, the dude went too far.

You are right, the police should have done better, especially if her action caused a roadside incident, albeit a minor one.

1 Like

Watched most of the full video. Seems abuse on his part to me. Gabby literally shows all the signs of someone who has been emotionally abused. She says he didnā€™t like that she was working and even said that he didnā€™t believe she could make her travel blog a success. He was trying to bring her down. Him blaming her and her blaming herself for the situation is classic gaslighting. She literally sat there apologising and listing her flaws, while he laughed and called her crazy. And people want to say she was the aggressor and theyā€™re both to blame? This is what abuse looks like.

Nice of the police to put him in a hotel though, and leave the unstable girl in the van.

1 Like

Iā€™m talking from a police standpoint, the way they handle it usually is whoever has the marks of physical abuse, like his scratches, is the evidence they use to put the physical aggressor in jail. Like I said it was clearly a toxic relationship both ways but u canā€™t arrest a guy for being emotionally abusive unfortunately.

Well you should be able to. America needs to catch up.

In the UK coercive control has been a criminal offence since 2015.

Surely there are different levels. Being a dick and saying ur blog isnā€™t gonna succeed isnā€™t an arrestable offense. Of course in the case of the teen girl who coerced her bf into killing himself Iā€™d say is a definite crime which she was convicted of. Regardless, in this case itā€™s a sad thing. When kids are this young they are far too dumb to realize they are in an abusive relationship, itā€™s on the family and friends to try and help ppl realize this, but sometimes they donā€™t wanna listen. Theyā€™d been engaged for a year youā€™d think there were some warning signs. Btw not sure if ur addressing me but I never said they were both to blame. Arguments and physicality happens in a lot of relationshipsā€¦and it usually doesnā€™t end in murder :grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

Well obviously not. Iā€™m not just talking about this one thing though. Watching that full video gave me (and many others) the impression that she has been emotionally abused for a very long time.

Girls donā€™t sit there hating on themselves like that and apologising for being horrible if they havenā€™t been broken.

Itā€™s just a shame no one was able to reach out to her at some point and/or rescue her.

Oh there absolutely would have been. But if youā€™re being abused over a period of time, you eventually lose all sense of logic. That is what gaslighting is. You feel responsible for something that isnā€™t your fault.

I feel like this is a broader issue tho. A lot of ppls traits now have been attributed to mental illness. Notice how she says ā€œIā€™m ocdā€ in reference to her constant cleaning. You think he stuck that in her head or is it possible sheā€™s been diagnosed by a doctor or psychiatrist who immediately stuck her on medication? It happens a lot.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, Iā€™m speculating to be honest. But reading on the internet, it seems Iā€™m far from alone in my conclusion.

On the OCD and anxiety though, she apologises several times for having OCD and says it makes her mean. That doesnā€™t seem right to me, itā€™s as if itā€™s in her head to continuously have to apologise.