General News

The meme’s point continually being made time and time again. We’re having a conversation about house prices versus wages and people can’t help but derail it by talking about cheap airfare and people who get their nails done too often.

Why is it when the conversation is about something as essential as security in terms of your living situation people want to make it about comparatively trivial things? Haha

2 Likes

To buy a house, because that’s what the fucking conversation was about in the first place :joy:

Also now you say just eighties, and leave the nineties out. Why is that?

I didn’t.

1 Like

Sigh. That’s what I’m saying. You said 80s and 90s initially, then when you shifted the conversation from being about house prices to unemployment levels the nineties suddenly disappeared and you just wanted to talk about the 80s.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be specifically about any decade but the eighties was when I was looking for work and after I was at school.

Look, this whole conversation started when I replied to a post that said:

What old people don’t realise is, to get on in life there are so many more expenses.

which I didn’t agree with.

1 Like

Look, this whole conversation actually started when I posted a meme warning that boomers couldn’t resist talking about takeaways and luxuries if you dare to mention that housing prices are massively out of step with wages compared to in previous generations.

I’ll be thinking of you while I eat my avocado breakfast baguette :kissing_heart:

We are mixing two things.

General Luxury
I have lived a decade without cellphones, internet, laptops and all the streamlining that has come about since the turn of century.
If someone gave me a choice to relive it, I will politely decline.
I have been working from home for a firm 2000 km away from me and that wouldn’t have been possible a decade ago.
We can say that we are in the golden era of technology and our lives are so so much easier than anyone else.

Housing
All together a different beast and I dread the whole idea of buying a house.
There are better ways to spend your money.

That said, because of some boomers with no regards to upcoming generations, we have more cancer victims.

Lmfao

Exactly, even my parents say the same.

My mum left school when she was 16 and went around handing out CVs to local businesses and got a job in a bank where she was able to work herself up to manager level before she had me.

My dad left school when he was 16 as well and the closest business to his home was a local regional bank and his first stop to drop off his CV. 40 years later and a career as a senior manager at two of Europe’s two banks later, he earned money that a 16 year old without qualifications wouldn’t dream of now.

Not to mention all the people I’ve met in Fulham and the rest of London who bought houses in the 80s for literally £50,000 that are now worth £1.5-£2m or more.

You don’t even have to go back to the 80s either, I was talking to a guy i know through work who bought a house in Barons Court in 1995 and then sold it in 2008 for a gain of 600%, used the proceeds to buy a house in Fulham for under £1m which now 12 years later is worth £3m.

Not to mention Uni was free for those generations as well.

I would happily, HAPPILY swap out my Netflix subscription and smashed avocado on sourdough for free Uni, 1,000% gains on property investment and well-paying careers in finance with no qualifications aged 16 :joy:

10 Likes

Lmao.

1 Like

Good point. Climbing the socioeconomic ladder has allot more space between rungs now (good metaphor?).

For younger people without the means to afford higher education it’s difficult to gain an entry level position with better than minimum wage pay. Even for the ones who make it to university the ability to do an unpaid internship, which then leads to a full time position, is a major hurdle.

1 Like

Just to level it up a bit. There was next to no higher education for the majority of Boomers.

3 Likes

On the other hand, you can do no education, become a ‘its just a prank bro’ influencer and earn millions.

1 Like

Or Trades, they pay really well as well bro, plumbing, electrician, carpentry etc… also houses become more affordable the further away you get from London.

My moms place which was originally a council house (got relocated after the whole estate was taken down) to somewhere nearly as bad has nearly doubled in price because of all the demand for places in London. And where talking about locations that are considered “ghettos”.

I think it’s easier to get on the property ladder if the places your looking to live aren’t as desirable, of course work and jobs and commuting all comes into play so not that easy, but honestly nothing worth having ever rarely is.

4 Likes

That’s always the best advice if someone doesn’t know what to do with their life. Get a trade. You can always re-train yourself into something else later on.

Plus you can travel the world with a trade.

5 Likes

Not familiar with the UK housing market but in the U.S. property values in even the most remote locations is skyrocketing. The culprit being realestate developers buying entire neighborhoods of single family homes and renting them out.

3 Likes

I had high hopes with ‘Work from home’ culture being a solution for this housing saturation.
I would gladly move to a lesser city with good internet and work from there. I have seen people move in last year and save thousands on rent.

More remote jobs, less need to stay in London, more people moving away from cities and making other places prime for investment.

2 Likes

Correct, there isn’t a national housing crisis just a crisis in places people actually want to live.

When I lived in Sunderland 4 and 5 bedroom homes to buy and renting were dirt cheap.

“The leveling up” agenda should focus on dealing with regional inequality, incentivizing business and people to operate outside centralised nodes

@Jules Spot on, it’s hard for some to swallow in retrospect but alot of people shouldn’t have gone to uni. Negative social conditioning I think

3 Likes

Same shit here in Ireland. Cunts.

3 Likes

Pertinent to this convo.