General News

Don’t know it gets used for literally anything lol

While I find the memes with them funny, I do feel quite bad for them.

Even though they look perfect for the meme there, they seem like nice guys and the way they get abused is harsh. People can take things like this too far.

In other news: what does this mean?

I didn’t read a whole lot about it but essentially they are doing what Rangers did.

Becoming a meme must be absolutely terrible lol

4 Likes

What are the faults of the leftist parties / goverments? I’m honestly curious about this. Because I believe that side of the political spectrum gives you the freedom to do whatever the fuck you want. It’s the conservative right wing that is very pedantic(?). Except when it comes to business, obviously.

Not talking off communist Venezuela, North-Korea or Cuba in those cases, obviously.

1 Like

What’s going on here?

@SDGooner @Bl1nk is it as bad as the 20 or so scandals our shitcunts have presided over?

There was a lot of fraud going down with benefits at the time. The government decided to really strike down on that. In their efforts though they made big mistakes.

7 Likes

Honestly both left and right governments are bad, center is always best. Leftist governments tend to be larger and can over regulate at times which isn’t ever a good things and right government under regulate leaving people vulnerable to all kinds of things. This is a very simplistic summary on my behalf but on the extreme ends both end up being the same.

The more liberties people have and the less government interference there is, in my opinion is always better. Freedom of speech, freedom of expression, of movement, of labour, with just enough regulations to prevent exploitation and monopolies plus just Enough welfare to help those who truly need it. Balanced

4 Likes

A proper welfare state is the best answer to provide social mobility. Less interference, but balance, is maintaining social classes. Which in my book is a bad thing.

Normal leftist governments are better protectors of those liberties imo. Again not talking about communist governments. Huge difference.

4 Likes

Talking about left right and centre like we are still in the 1900s.

The USSR is gone and this terminology is so outdated now.

2 Likes

I don’t know, to me stuff like free speech is Something I believe to be essential to any proper democracy, that gets heavily regulated in a lot of “left” leaning governments, plus stuff like positive discrimination and affirmative action I believe (based on studies and data) is actually detrimental to those it’s supposedly helping in addition to leading to incompetence which is also something that exists in a lot of “leftist” governments.

1 Like

You would think so bro, but you get people calling themselves lefties all the time.

Yeah I think everyone has this all wrong.

You have Trump offering more money to hard hit people in the US, while the so called left parties push more for free marketism

1 Like

I don’t think its quite as redundant as he’s making out, clear fault lines still exist in our politics between the left and right, though of course its not as pronounced as during the Cold War and the picture is now more complex. But the idea of left and right wings isn’t entirely useless at all imo.

1 Like

I guess free speech is under threat under totalitarian regimes rather than it has something to do with left/right. Do feel like other liberties when it comes to self-determination (abortion, etc) are safer there.

There has a be some sort of positive discrimination imo. A lot of minorities, or poor people in general, don’t know what it takes and how to climb social ladders. Quite simply need the help. But of course like everything one can go too far which such things.

2 Likes

I think there can and should be a better system for categorising people’s viewpoints in the current climate.

You’ve got technocrats like Ruth Davidson, etc that are left on identity issues, but not for social mobility or equality.

But then you got the FN and Le Pen whose manifesto in the last french election had some policies that would have helped the poor compared to Macron iirc.

Not sure if this is off subject but you don’t see Britain portrayed as run by a right wing government or that term used on MPs within the conservatives.
Also when the banks went tits up nobody used the term capitalism failing or does when economy is in a mess.

3 Likes

I agree to an extent mate. However there are different issues which you can be right, left or to the middle on such as:

Rent control - we don’t have any, should we?

Council house building - should we build more council houses to reduce the cost of housing?

Should the government cover more training and educational costs to allow us to be more of a meritocracy?

Believing in those policies would be generally seen as significantly to the left and they aren’t policies New Labour supported. They do make sense as the gap between rich and poor grows.

3 Likes

I liked this one

8 Likes