General News

Same. That’s it really. Obviously some of it is on the parents. But at the end of the day, whichever way you look at it, it’s not the child’s fault if they are not given a book. So whether Rashford’s scheme supplies something the parent could supply or not, it’s a good thing.

2 Likes

It is true but schools now have cut back on reading books a lot.
The argument being they read more today because of screens. Im not fully on board with this as reading a book can fire a childs imagination. World of difference from being able too read and actually read a book.

2 Likes

That’s madness. As much as computer skills are obviously the future you can’t replicate the skills gained through reading books.

I’m grateful that I grew up just after smartphones really became a thing as I would’ve hated the thought of being glued to one of those from a young age, I can barely get off my phone as it is now!

3 Likes

My favourite part of school was always English lessons when we had to read passages from books and different kids played different parts.

I didn’t really start getting into reading until I was about 10-11 but then I absolutely started devouring books and it was a massive part of me developing my vocabulary and understanding of language. Especially crazy fantasy books like Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones as those fantasy authors fucking love using old school, archaic language haha

2 Likes

Yeah funny you should say that. Im making a conscious effort too get back on books because of the time I waste on my phone.
Never even watch the tv without glancing at it. Why I go the cinema if there’s a film I really want too watch. Only place I really switch it off.
Forgot to take it to work the other week. After a few hours without it felt bloody great.

3 Likes

Agreed, one of the only times I can ever really concentrate on a film!

1 Like

I’ve always loved a book. I can easily put my phone down for a book. This is probably going to sound really sad, but one of the things I have missed most this year is just hanging out in Foyles in Charing Cross Road. When I worked in Soho, I often spent my lunch break just walking around the history section. Had a pleasant conversation with a very old man about The Tudors in that section once, still sticks in my mind. He told me that it was nice to meet a young person passionate about history and he said I had made his day. But he also made mine :slightly_smiling_face:

There is also a Caffè Nero just up the road from it, where the downstairs is surrounded with book shelves and old books. The simple things make a big difference.

8 Likes

Yeah I can spend hours in a library even in a place im not a member.
Used too go with my wife and she would get a book and then wonder why I couldn’t just pick one and go straight home.
She never understood why I wanted too just keep looking.
One thing I can’t do is read a book again though. I know people do on here but im just thinking there’s something else ive got too read.
.Fever pitch is the exception. Thats it though.

4 Likes

I’m the same. I reread books where I was young. But now I don’t see the point - unless for work/study purposes. I have about 100 books on my bookshelf that I haven’t read yet and I’m constantly adding to it. So I’d feel like I was wasting time if I read one I have already read. (Though weirdly, I’m the opposite when it comes to films :smile:)

1 Like

Films yeah. Television series no.

1 Like

Likewise I used to the do the same but at the Foyles on Tottenham Court Road. Always my go to place whenever I want time to myself to switch off haha

1 Like

I remain incredulous about the fact that use of this application is not contingent on users signing up for a paid subscription

4 Likes

:ozil:

11 Likes

Creation of police States is it?
Time for the French to do what they do best - revolt and get this clown out.

4 Likes

Defending freedom of speech while voting for an anti freedom of speech bill, how hypocrit.

3 Likes

Great to see this. First country in Europe to do it I believe

7 Likes

First in the world, not just Europe.

GG

1 Like

It’s outrageous that this has taken so long for any country to implement. Well done to Scotland.

6 Likes

Do we actually believe the people who comment on the daily mail are actually people and not bots :arteta:

Yeah saw it on Apple news thing this morning. It’s crazy because personally I think the less government is involved in our lives the better but this is one of those things that’s a necessity and like @SRCJJ said it’s crazy that it’s actually taken this long for it to happen anywhere.