General News

I don’t see how you can be annoyed with Rashford lol it’s his money he can buy what he likes and he can also defend himself. If he was white the daily mail wouldn’t have cared

I see it more as when these pay checks dry up at age 35 it’s more like still have some income, and indeed, maintain a certain standard of life.

1 Like

Good on you Rashford, talented young footballer comes across as a genuine bloke and being smart with his money.

1 Like

At least he didn’t buy a new sink for his mum, then there would have been proper outroar.

1 Like

Outcry or uproar.

Make your mind up, love.

:joy:

I did think when I typed that it didn’t sound right. I had a mind blank.

2 Likes

TBF It needed Dave to point it out for me to notice.

1 Like

Most houses come with sinks. :hipster:

2 Likes

The Bastard

1 Like

How are British leftists reacting to this? Are landlords now good?

1 Like

The solution of the wealth gap from a British leftists position is to increase taxes on property, wealth, ultra 50% VAT on high value items, ie sports cars, and to a lesser extent higher wages - because they circumvent that.

Was going to say I wished he played for us, but I know that if any of our players do something nice they get called a dickhead or described as someone with good PR.

Let’s plant some trees if we win. “Well if you cared, you’d do it when we lose too.”

Let’s give kids some books. “In my day we just went to the library”

2 Likes

Fair too a degree but think he’s getting a bit more respect for highlighting the government’s poor performance.

This is what I am talking about. He shouldn’t be getting any criticism at all.

What he is doing may seem obvious, but no one else is bloody doing it!

Library’s are another thing the Tories have fucked over. I saw some cunt try to argue you don’t need a library with books any more because of the internet, like it’s anywhere near the same thing.

On another note thebookpeople do incredibly cheap book sets.

2 Likes

For sure, so many have closed down. My town still has one, but it’s run voluntarily and only open 2 and a half days a week.

And even then, it’s not the same thing as owning your own book. I think I was more privileged than I realised, I thought I was pretty poor as a child. But I had books. I genuinely couldn’t believe there were that many children who’d grown up never owning a book! Rashford said he didn’t read a book until he was 17!

So yeah, if he wants to make sure every child owns a book then good on him.

3 Likes

It’s a good thing he’s doing and he does seem genuine. It highlights that the government should be engaging in extending the library service alongside school reading programs.

1 Like

It’s actually impressive and heartening knowing how many kids are still reading in this high tech time.
Children books sell really well on the market and the library should be a mainstay of all towns and cities.

1 Like

It a bitter pill for people to swallow but as with FSM, government policy or charity will be an never effective surrogate attentive parenting and a strong family/community ties.

I’m all for well funded services and libraries but it isn’t a cure all. If Rashford didn’t read a book until 17 that on his primary caregivers, I’m sorry that just the truth. It’s not really an argument tied to finances either, immigrant communities place a high emphasis on education throughout childhood and the results show

1 Like

Yeah that’s true, there are lots of really good charity book shops out there too so there are plenty of avenues for parents already. I think it’s more the case of encouraging parents to get their children reading from a young age, I know I benefited so much from being encouraged to read from a very early age!