General News

Why is it Extinction Rebellion you are digging out over this? Have you identified a double standard here?

Here he comes again on his horse, out of everything I’ve just posted there, that’s what you decided to pick up on?

Surely this has everything to do with extinction rebellion, over fishing leads to the extinction of many species of fish, is the single most thing that drives declines in ocean wildlife populations and severely damages ocean eco systems. Catching fish faster than the stocks can replenish with vessels such as the one I’ve posted about is surely a story that should be at the top of the agenda? A vessel that is allowed release 12,000kg of dead sea life back into the ocean because it has no need for it is seemingly ok though.

1 Like

Sounds like you should start a petition mate.

Well horse is one of the most environmentally friendly options…

“out of everything I’ve posted there” one fucking paragraph mate, let’s not act like you’ve written an entire thesis and I’ve picked on one fucking word out of fifteen thousand.

I literally asked you a couple questions, and avoided any judgment because I was interested in why you’re focusing on them, and didn’t want you to think I was trying to call you out for something. I obviously failed on that front so I could obviously do with putting more thought into how I express myself. But there was literally no moral judgment here, no high horse.

But frankly, if you can’t handle someone asking two questions after you express an opinion on a current affairs item, then perhaps expressing opinions on a public forum isn’t the one for you. Because you’re coming across as rather pathetic here, I’m just trying to engage you because you clearly seem worked up about the issue, but your ire seems to be aimed at a bunch of protestor, not anyone who actually has any power in this situation. Which is why I asked about what it was that had got your goat and if there was a big double standard I’d missed, because I don’t think the sun shines out of their arses and I’m perfectly willing to hear about any double standards they have.

I’d agree with you that this is the kind of thing you’d think they might highlight, but also I wouldn’t necessarily dig then out for the fact that they haven’t. There are hundreds of specific things that are harmful to our environment, I’m not personally gonna slate them because there’s one specific incident that I care about but I haven’t heard them comment on yet, there isn’t a double standard there.

I accept that your perception of me has coloured your reaction here, and that is partly on me for how I post sometimes, but I was really trying to ask you a couple of questions to better understand you before writing what I just wrote above, which actually agreed with you to an extent. But the way you’ve reacted makes you look like someone who prefers to be in their echo chamber and not have people even remotely question them on the views they’ve expressed.

So I’ll just leave you alone in current affairs in future if this is how its gonna be

Are they supposed to sink the ship or something? Just so they can be accused of being ‘violent’?

They’re protesting about the environment. Which would include over fishing.

That’s kind of the point.

I mean have we got any proof that they’re ignoring this? I’m sure if you told your average activist about this, they wouldn’t be happy.

Like a lot of what George Monbiot talks about is overfishing, destroying ecosystems, grouse hunting etc etc.

Interesting that it’s Extinction Rebellion are obliged to focus on this and to protest. At least that’s the gist I’m feeling here

Horrible stuff. RIP

@SRCJJ

6 Likes

Translation ‘Rich doctor’ wants a poor tax

2 Likes

I imagine middle class and rich people are price savvy as well and won’t just carry on buying sweets with a mark up, I know it’ll be a deterrent for me for sure.

Unless that you’re implying poor people feed their children Pringles and chocolate fingers. Which will just contribute to a larger burden on the nhs later on.

Really?! I mean, I have no idea what middle and upper class people as a whole would do, but as a middle class person I can say that an extra few pence in tax isn’t going to stop me buying confectionary if it’s something I enjoy.

Would you actually not buy a chocolate bar cos it costs you an extra ten pence or whatever?! You live in Fulham, as if you give a fuck! :grin:

1 Like

I’ve always argued, if you tax sugary drinks, sweets and fatty foods such as pastries doughnuts etc you need to use that money to subsidise farmers or super markets to sell fruit and vegetables much cheaper to allow for poorer families to afford them sort of goods. It makes no sense to me apart from being money grabbing to tax low cost food and not help out in other ways, you’re only harming the pockets of the poor.

Buy a tint amount of raspberries for a quid or buy a 5 pack of doughnuts. What do you think poorer families are going to do.

6 Likes

I agree. It’s basically what the sugar tax has done for me with fizzy drinks.

Albeit I never was or am a huge consumer of coke etc, I wouldn’t say my consumption has necessarily decreased since it’s inception.

1 Like

Haha I mean if it’s literally just pennies I don’t see anyone giving a shit, especially not poor people looking for a sugar fix.

But there have been plenty of times where I’ve caught myself reaching for sweets and treats and then taken a second look at the price and been like “fuuuuck that” (usually because I just don’t think it’s worth that price or because I noticed its gotten xx% more expensive and I feel like I’m getting ripped off).

I agree with @SpankyJoyJoy the money should go to subsidising healthy foods. But things like broccoli, cauliflower etc. are hardly expensive as it is.

Will the tax be on ready meals and Turkey twizzlers as well? (More like “food food”)

Also @JakeyBoy middle class and rich people tend to have more money because they often tend to think more about what it is they do with that money rather than just spunking it all on whatever they want whenever they want :wink:

We’re talking about a chocolate bar or two mate, it’s not the stuff fortunes are won or lost on hahah

Also, seems like more than a hint of “poor people are poor because they’re inferior/irresponsible”, do I not love that. Do you just wake up and trigger lefties every day? :joy:

3 Likes

You’re the one who started it saying that because I live in Fulham I must not give a fuck about my spending, which I absolutely do :joy: I stress about money all the time - it’s just a different kind of stress I guess, like “shit I don’t have enough savings” rather than “shit I can’t make rent”.

That triggered me so I thought I’d fire back haha

1 Like

Yeah, that is a very different kind of stress.

I wasnt suggesting that you didn’t give a fuck about your spending generally, I was suggesting that I found the idea that someone who lived in Fulham would be deterred from buying confectionary they want because the price has gone up by a few pence :smile:

You were fucking about in Fulham Whole Foods just last weekend, but yeah, a few extra pence on a KitKat is where you draw the line :joy:

This is like Captain America: Civil War, the middle class version. 1v1 me irl in Waitrose

3 Likes

To be honest I think fruit and veg is pretty cheap already.

I just think there’s a serious lack of time and skill in terms of cooking good nutritious meals.

Of course this is just my speculation.

But nobody really has time these days to make some nice brown pasta with spinach or whatever. Or maybe not many people know how to cook.

So horrible, processed ready meals are the quicker and easier (not necessarily cheaper) option.

I don’t really know what else we can do to sort that though, instead of taxing sugary shite to high heaven.

Do what the Japanese do I guess. Ban ready meals and create fresh, decently-cooked reasonably healthy lunches to sell like their bento boxes instead of ready meals. That’s one option.

1 Like