UEFA Europa League

The problem with this is that it rewards the racists. They go through to the semi final unchallenged.

3 Likes

No it doesn’t. Playing on regardless rewards racists.

I can honestly say that if Arsenal sacrifice their place in the competition, citing the reasons of racism that haven’t been addressed by their opponents, never can I say I’d be prouder to be a Gooner.

4 Likes

Last thing UEFA wants is a top English club to go against them though. You best believe others will follow even if it’s for PR.
UEFA have been preaching about “no racism” for more than a decade yet they always do the bare minimum or at times nothing about it.
They’re fucked. English media won’t let this die down easily.

1 Like

There’s no point in Arsenal being martyrs here. We will be punished far far heavier for missing a UEFA tie than they will ever punish a team for racism.

That ain’t right, but it is what it is.

2 Likes

I’m conflicted because taking a stand will show UEFA that we won’t take that kind of nonsense especially if utd do the same. However it would be annoying if that despite taking a stand the competition continued and a club with racist cunts like that made it to the final or even won it. Playing them and beating them with our diverse and ethnically mixed squad is more humiliating and embarrassing for those racist cunts than just not taking part.

3 Likes

Sorry, but this is fantasy.

1 Like

Yeah had a feeling it might not have been allowed. Apologies dude

1 Like

Yeah have to agree with Super Sham, no point in us being Martyrs. UEFA should just ban these clubs like how they banned all the British teams for hooliganism. That will quickly put an end to this kind of disgusting behaviour. Fuck these teams man.

4 Likes

We ain’t boycotting and forfeiting our chance at returning to the CL and massive paydays, especially in these dire times for clubs financially.

4 Likes

I didn’t say I wouldn’t be proud of them. I would completely understand and I wouldn’t be annoyed in the slightest if they did it.

My issue is that I don’t believe it would achieve anything. We’d be punished/fined etc, plus Slavia Prague would be in a European semi final and would carry on denying any racism had taken place.

5 Likes

Well firstly you wouldn’t be subjecting your black players to sharing a pitch with an actual open racist, someone who thought it was acceptable to use the foulest word in the language in a deliberate act of racial abuse. That’s a pretty good thing to do first off

I’d be proud of my club for taking actual stand in the fight against racism and forcing UEFA to take their responsibilities seriously.

So? UEFA can keep their EL, I don’t want any part of it if racism is condoned

For Arsenal football club, the message we’d be sending to the world is that we have zero tolerance for racism in football, its not just something we say to pay lip service, we really mean it and we’re prepared to suffer any and all consequences, financial or competitive, to that end.

If the club don’t have the grapes or don’t want “martyrs” in tackling actual racism, to me that clear confirmation that you’re willing to accept a level of racism in football and you aren’t really committed to eradicating it, which I suspected was the case

1 Like

We probably should have packed it in as a football club long before now if we were serious about not tolerating racism. Didn’t hear anyone making these noises when we were playing Lazio in the CL or after we played Chelsea that first time after the Terry/Ferdinand incident.

It’s not realistic or fair to expect one club to take such a stand. The authorities should not need to be shamed into doing their job.

3 Likes

Racism in a nutshell though really, people are very stubborn about not doing the right thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing with what you’re saying as such. In the only part of my post you didn’t quote I said I’d completely understand if they took the stance.

But I do think it is unrealistic to expect a club who has nothing to do with the situation in question to take one for the “team”, when no one else in the “team” has taken the fall for another member.

And if UEFA do not do anything, then Arsenal boycotting a match is not going to make them think “ah you know what, we can’t survive the Europa League semi finals without their shitty football, we best close the organisation”.

It’s a crap situation, but Arsenal are not going to solve it.

2 Likes

Especially when there are millions/tens of millions of pounds at stake.

It’s shit, but it ain’t gonna change cos of one action. The only people who can make the meaningful actions are those in charge.

They won’t do anything unless their hand is forced I’m afraid.

@shamrockgooner & @Phoebica

My question to you is: How do you expect things to change if we continue to tolerate inaction on racism in football from the authorities?

When has any football club anywhere ever taken a stand like an actual boycott in protest of racism?

1 Like

We didn’t stand up for Mykhi in Baku. If you don’t stand up for one of your own being wronged your not doing it for Rangers.

10 Likes

Exactly. Why now? How is this the breaking point?

Well there was the PSG Besiktas game last year where all the players walked off the pitch. I remember reading articles asking if that was a game changer in the fight against racism. Spoiler alert: no it was not.

But I’ll reiterate again, I agree with your point. I just don’t believe that us refusing to play a Europa League quarter final match is realistic, and neither is it the answer.

2 Likes