UEFA Champions League

Some really good ties.

City vs. Real Madrid
Atlético vs. Liverpool
Chelsea vs. Bayern
Spurs vs. Leipzig

Barcelona got Napoli and PSG get Dortmund.

Lyon be. Juventus

3 Likes

Yeah it’s actually very different match ups for a change.

Barca getting an easy passage without Carlo masterminding things.

1 Like

8 decent matchups there. I honestly wouldn’t back Arsenal against a single one of those sides taking into account our current squad (and regardless of form). Only a handful of our players would get into these last 16 first teams

2 Likes

#Favreign vs Beautiful head of hair.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

1 Like

Bottle job Derby

1 Like

1 Like

I’ve been wondering for ages, what does this hashtag mean, and did you make it up or is it something people actually use?

You really want me to explain my cringe concoction? :sweat_smile:

It’s mine and it means “Favre’s reign or Reign of Favre” for his tenure as Dortmund boss.

1 Like

This looks the best Ro16 draw in the CL for years. Some tasty matches there!

1 Like

Comfortably the best rd of 16 draw I can remember in years.

2 Likes

Nice stuff. Unfortunately, I fear all the cool ties will be used up now

Because only teams from the big 5 leagues are in it

While you may be right, these are nothing compared to the 2003, 2005 and 2007 draws.

Champions League is dead before the knockouts. Least the proper stuff starts now

Wasn’t 2003 still the 2nd group phrase for the rd of 16 ? Pretty sure the knockouts started in 2004 for the rd 16. 2003 I remember us going out in a group consisting of Valencia, Ajax and Roma, despite Henry scoring a hat trick at the stadio olympico match day 1.

2005 & 2007 just gives me bad memories of being knocked out by Bayern and PSV + Liverpool somehow going on to beat a Milan side they had no right to from 3-0 down in the final. Steven Gerrard was the only Liverpool player that would have made that Milan side FFS.

Gerard doesn’t make that Milan side. Not with Kaka playing in the same position as him

1 Like

Or Rui Costa on the bench. Even though he was maybe past his peak then.

@AussieGooner think you’re right. I don’t remember because i was barely into football then.

The 16 teams then were better quality wise across the board imo though.

Especially with equality in the matchups and diversity of teams.

Any team then was more of a threat than Atalanta or Valencia are for example.

1 Like

Cool, got what I wanted.

Atleti aren’t the defensive beast they were a few years ago but should prove a test for Liverpool (who I still expect to progress). Simeone will get his team to sit deep, and won’t give Liverpool many chances to break on them.

1 Like

I can see Atlético making life tough for Liverpool in Madrid maybe getting a 0-0 or sneak a 1-0 win. Still don’t think it’ll be enough when they head to the Anfield fortress for the 2nd leg though.

No way Atleti score an actual goal in a football game. 0-0 is the best they can hope for.

8 Likes