UEFA Champions League

And the ref shouldn’t have bottled it in front of the Kop in 2008 Liverpool vs Arsenal.

We were on the end of some bollocks decisions in that Liverpool tie.

Our Champions League history is just shameful apart from one sensational cup run.

If you go through our exits year by year you can pick out a ridiculous amount of near misses and unforgivable failures.

3 Likes

Chelsea 2004, Bayern 2005, Porto 2007 instantly spring to mind. That’s before considering Monaco I’m 2015

It was PSV 2007 but yeah your point still stands.

A lot of our exits were our own doing, but Liverpool 2008 we deserved to go through, robbed by key decisions in both games that would have changed the outcomes.

2 Likes

Not sure where I got Porto from but you’re right. Was absolutely distraught after that game at Anfield in 2008. After Walcott scored I thought we had done it :frowning:

1 Like

We did lose to Porto in 2010 on Campbell’s second debut but we turned it around in the second leg

What a ball.

That’s what you get when you buy quality.
He and Allison have made a massive difference to Liverpool, who’s defence was no where near as good in previous seasons.
Money well spent, even if to was a lot.

1 Like

Pulis likes this hoof

Great finish, Nedved

8 Likes

I’m a simple man, I see Nedved I click like

3 Likes

Bastard stole the Balon d’Or from Henry in 2003. Never forgive, never forget.

1 Like

Del Pierro in that team too… geez… those were the times!

Unbelievable how he got it and Henry never. What did Nedved do so much better to deserve it over the :crown:?

Took his team to the CL final, beating Real Madrid in the process, like Henry in 2006.

Both were invisible in the final though, however Nedved has a better excuse.

Meanwhile ourselves in 2003 got done by some decent Spanish team and Roma IIRC

2 Likes

Nedved one of the best of his generation.

The goals and assists Henry racked up in the 03 season made him objectively the best performing player in the world at the time. We didn’t win anything that year which cost him the award ultimately, but he was just sensational that year.

1 Like

He was better than Nedved. Look at this video unreal how he never won it ever.

3 Likes

Had we won the CL in 2004 like we should have, he’d have won it then.

1 Like

I think you’re also underestimating just how incredible Nedved was at his peak. This guy won multiple trophies in 2003 and took his team to the CL final in 2003 where they lost on penalties to one of the great club sides. He had a healthy goal scoring and it was a travesty that Nedved missed the final.

Henry on the other hand ended the season going out of the CL with Arsenal in a group of Ajax, Roma and Valencia (in the old second group stage days) and Arsenal bottled the PL to Manchester United.

I think Henry was the best striker in the world in 2003 but I don’t think it’s a travesty that Nedved won the award ahead of him. Football was a different landscape back then anyway it was ultra-competitive so the argument for Maldini, Nedved or Henry would have been compelling either way.

I think outside of 2003 or 2004, I can’t think of any year I would have given the Balon D’or to Henry though.

7 Likes