Pre-2000s Football

I can remember being very fearful indeed when we played Milan in the European Super Cup in 1994 lol

Great side

2 Likes

get that man’s name last in your list and i fully agree with you haha!

What’s really annoying is over the years I’ve lost a gattuso, kaka and nesta shirt that now would be my prized possessions if still in good condition.

I play 5/6/7 a side on a sunday outdoor with mates, I’ll always celebrate like pippo if i score just because I’m so shit. You can only love seeing that kind of passion in a professional who scores with his eyes closed. Like @Electrifying mentioned about the quality in the game dropping since 10/15 years ago, so too has the passion in the players. So many legends i’d have loved to have met, get their stories, see what they’d have to say about the games they’ve played and their memories. Now I look at most modern footballers and they are so bland, wouldn’t even go for a pint with them if they offered me drinks all night.

I don’t even think it’s a case of me getting old. I have some coworkers in their early 20s who are the funniest fuckers I’ve ever met, so it’s not generational, it’s just the culture of football these days, many players have just become dull, so bland, and so pathetic.

Bonus pic taken by my extremely drunk friend, of me meeting some bit part player…

@DavidHillier yeah, I’d love to see sacchi/capello’s Milan with Baresi/maldini and Van Basten etc up against Pep’s barcelona. Two best club teams of all time I’d say. Also I remember in 05/07 against United, some of their usually arrogant fans absolutely shitting themselves before the games against Milan in Europe.

7 Likes

That Kaka game at Old Tartford in 07. He bossed them, lol.

Milan early 90s v Barca late noughties would be a close call. I remember saying Milan would win comfortably before, but I’m now forced to reconsider lol

2 Likes

The early 2000s deportivo is better than everybody today bar PSG, Liverpool and Bayern imo.

1 Like

Yeah, 2005 the whole team shut them down, think they had 3 shots on target over two legs. 2007 away Kaka took control, what a player that season especially, then at San Siro he and Seedorf combined and absolutely took the piss. Crazy the difference in class between the two teams that night. Probably the best performances I’ve seen from Milan are those 4 ties against ManUtd.

Annoyingly the 4 worst came against Arsenal the next season, then Manutd the season after. (Especially considering the squad they had, not how shit they’ve been with crap squads after 2012).

It would be a close call, but if you break it down, Milans backline is going to stop their attack, the midfield would be even, and Gullitt/Van Basten would have a field day with Pique, Puyol would be on the floor crying so he’d need to bribe the ref again like 2006.

2 Likes

This Deportivo?!

I didn’t undestand well what you said at first… I thought you said they were one of thr best teams around at that time. :pepe1:
Yeah, I agree, they would be a dominant force nowadays.

2 Likes

Those 05 performances were very good.

As I recall, ManUre were very good in Jan 2005 (beat us at home, the bastards, and only lost to Chelsea in the league cup semi final). Milan just picked them off with ease in the CL.

1 Like

The most beautiful thing as well is, they didn’t even look like they got out of second gear in either performance, it was just too easy for them like you say. Crazy that team only won 1 scudetto. (2003 they were better other than Kaka, and 2007 was a slightly different team especially with Sheva and Stam gone and Cafu only playing a small role).

2 Likes

Even the 06 CL semi final v Barcelona was contentious, wasn’t it?

I’m sure they cheated

3 Likes

Of course they did. I’ve hated them ever since. Disgusting club. They did it on two other occasions against Milan. Robbed so many trophies from teams. The thing is they had the talent to do it on the field without ref involvement.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Quality player @Cristo

3 Likes

Really should of nominated this for thread of the year.

4 Likes

Without question the best passer of all time. Saw the whole game 2, 3 passes ahead and could control everything. Only other player I’ve seen with that sense, i.e. to set a team mate up in a perfect place to pass it someone else to score, on such a consistent basis, was Totti, but Laudrup is way above him further still. If he played today/the last decade, there’d be no talk of Pirlo/Xavi/Busquets/Alonso. They’re all absolutely world class, and yet definitely below laudrup’s passing ability.

4 Likes

Christ how did football sink to this level we have now because it clearly has.

3 Likes

Sorry, but watch Beckenbauer…He could have passed his mother an apple over the dinner table, and made it look smooth…The best, hands down…

just scrolling through this thread and that bayern kit in the thumbnail is one of my all time favourites. Ever since that final I’ve wanted it. Never found it anywhere for anything less than £200!

@JohnnyH i’ve never actually watched much of him. I’ll take a look on your recommendation. I think what I like about Laudrup is, like I say, is he picks a pass that can set up an entire play, taking into account positions /directions of several players at once, I’ve never seen anyone do that so frequently, even if someone possibly could be more accurate with an individual pass, if that makes sense.

Laudrup was without doubt a quality passer of the ball…but Beckenbauer was seriously, on another level…He saw a pass that even if you watched the replay, you still didn’t see it…Yet he did…

2 Likes

We probably wouldn’t have had Messi, Iniesta and Xavi playing at the level they did without Laudrup. We definitely wouldn’t if not for Cruyff

“Who is the best player in history? Laudrup.” - Iniesta

2 Likes

It’s because there’s less time and space. Players cover about twice as much ground today. Even Xhaka looks a good player when he has time and space

1 Like