Pre-2000s Football

2 Likes

Otherworldly elegance on the ball.

3 Likes

Touch of silk.

He’s great BUT is the reason Henry didn’t perform as well for France because Zidane didn’t release the through ball quick enough?

Most overrated player of all time for me.

Not fit to lace Xavi or Iniesta’s boots.

Every single one of those kits actually looks banging

Certainly up there. As great as he was, he criminally underperformed for Juventus and Real Madrid. His greatness stems from a CL final goal and his international career but on a week to week basis he just didn’t do anywhere near as much as you’d think his talent could do.

1 Like

Zidane is probably the third best player ever after Pele and Maradona

You use this word a lot :smile:

1 Like

Hes not better than Cruyff or Platini for me tbh.

Couldn’t see the special-ness tbf

Well id say he was the first world class player who delivered Juventus to the very top of the game.
Catalyst to making France a top world force and lead them to their first trophy in the euros in 84 and just fell short in the world cup in the epic semi in the WC 82.

Xavi is definietly a better creative passer. But Zidane could dominate games and score worldies on his own. Xavi can’t do the same. Zidane also had a sublime first touch and could dribble through 3-4 players, driving the ball up the pitch. He could also physically impose himself on opponents who got ragdolled when they tried to take the ball off him. Zidane is also the ultimately big game big tournament player. France without him go out in the group stage, with him he takes them to 3 finals, winning 2 of them.

Also Xavi was exact same pass master before Guardiola and Messi took that Barce side to another level. But no one outside of Barcelona was saying ‘Xavi and Iniesta are the 2 best midfielders in the world’.

They’re different players with different strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like

I was being rather provocative, but the part to take more seriously is that I do have this sliiiight feeling Zidane might get a teeny bit overrated. Wonderful player of course and I loved seeing him play in the flesh the couple times I did, I was still a bit in awe.

How much Platini have you seen? There was a debate in the 80s who was better between Maradona, Platini and Zico. It was only kind of resolved in 1986 but Platini was near the end there anyway. He was an absolutely prolific midfielder for Juve and France and a freekick seemed as good as a penalty for Platini.He took Juve to 3 European Finals winning 2 and took France to 2 World Cup Semis and won the European Championship with them.

3 Likes

massive moment in one of the classiest European finals ever. Barca first and Cruyff legacy sealed forever.
Gutted for Sampdoria but yet again a great success story and highlights the 90s of the game having so many more competitive teams back then.
1 Like

Here is one of the great players of this era who gets so overlooked because of the talent in the world at that time.
Total class footballer and exquisite finisher. Style and elegance and brilliant awareness makes him one of my personal favourite players in that golden period of Italian football.
2 Likes

So I’m putting together a quiz, and one of the rounds is 90s football. Anyone got any suggestions for questions?

One I have is, who scored the first Premier League hat-trick? But I don’t want it to be just PL focused. Would like a mix of English football, European and international.

1 Like

Which football player ended the 90s as the most expensive player in the world?

A: Vieri

4 Likes

The Barca v Sampdoria game posted above was the last European cup final in 92. Marseille v AC Milan was the first Champions League final.

1 Like