Pre-2000s Football

yeah, I think he retired at 38 if I’m not mistaken, and was just as great in his later years. Best serie A right back of all time, though he was deployed brilliantly by mourinho as an anchor for their treble, allowing Maicon to overlap and be covered by Zanetti. What a great team they were.

3 Likes

I think Zanetti is one of the most overlooked dribblers ever. People don’t talk about how good he was at carrying the ball and dribbling with it.

4 Likes

For sure, he could play everywhere as well. As much as I love Maldini, and I think he’s the better player overall (and actually a decent dribbler/attacker himself) zanetti is way, way more versatile and would fit into any back 4 or wingback formation no problem, he was 90% a right back, but easily good enough to be a wingback/winger, and also obviously central midfielder.

Definitely top 10, possibly top 5 serie A players ever.

For the record I think that Baresi, Maldini, Piola, Totti, Buffon are my top 5. I never saw Piola but nobody is ever touching his scoring record, although Totti is only 25 off, and he was more a 10 than a 9 for most of his career, just obviously that good.

1 Like

He was always making Maradona-esque runs, basically his trademark.
Brilliant with both feet, so comfortable on both sides of the pitch. His athleticism in his late 30s was still very very impressive, aside from his final year or two where he visibly faded.

Thinking of Zanetti and his runs, dribbles and two-footedness… Damn now Zambrotta comes to mind. That guy was an absolute BEAST for a few years. Insane stamina, always up and down, pace, absolutely brilliant dribbler, both feet, great shot, very solid at the back too for a guy who was a midfielder for big part. An absolute menace down the flank for a few years.

4 Likes

If Tierney can have Zanetti’s longevity than we’re set for fuckin years !!

2 Likes

Zambrotta is a proper blast from the past haha. Great shout as he was absolutely immense for Juventus. Didn’t he move to Barca in 2007 too? I could be wrong but after the Calciopoli scandal didn’t Thuram and he go to Barca?

Never the same after that move but I do have a real fondness for the Juve, Milan, and Inter Milan teams from 2002-06.

3 Likes

Not exactly 90s but still a nice moment :slight_smile:

Baggio’s first-touch is absolute :fire: took Van der Sar completely out of the game.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Lol what’s this?!

3 Likes

It’s the best Premier League based soap opera of all time.

5 Likes

:arteta: :arteta: :arteta:
That looks brilliant! A proper erotic football crime thriller, you gotta love those!

It was so so shit :joy: forerunner to footballers wives, that brunette in the video has always been a total milf.

1 Like

I liked your post, but Footballers’ Wives was pretty fun and erotic. It’s close between the two :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’ve caught me out…it’s the only one I ever watched. :grin:

2 Likes

At the beginning of his glorious career.

Where does he rank among worlds greatest ever goalkeepers?

Not on the list for me. Decent but nothing special.

3 Likes

Good shot stopper but poor at a lot of other things. Capello wanted to drop him as early as 2007 and Jose was the man who had the balls to do it. Guy isn’t in the same breath as a Buffon, Khan, Schmeichel for me.

4 Likes

Same breath as Victor Valdez?

@Cristo

3 Likes

Those Laudrup brothers :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like