Tennis

Looks like you had some sort of view mate :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah seats were good :ozil:

Thought we were getting the seats close to where they come out to get a few balls signed at the end but they switched up the layout lol damnit.

1 Like

Nadal was no where near his best and indoor courts arenā€™t his favourite. Once Medvedev lost his serve at 5 - 2, he just started going for broke on some of his shots. I think the fact that he has never beaten Nadal was playing on his mind and he thought he has to change his game rather than do whatever he was in the first 2 sets. Anyway, as good as a recovery it was from Nadal from 5 - 1 down, facing a match point, this was more down to a mental break down on Medvedevā€™s part and brilliance from Nadal.

To be fair to Medvedev though, he has had a brilliant year and we canā€™t question his mentality cause he has beaten the some big players this year including Djokovic, on different surfaces and at 23, is looking like the real deal. I just hope he can back this up with another good season next year. Tennis needs a new set of stars. Have been disappointed with the likes of Thiem, Zverev, Tsitsipas, especially when it comes to challenging the big 3.

I donā€™t think Medvedev can sustain it tbh, credit where its due he has had a fantastic year but there are some facets of his game that make me think he wonā€™t be one of the absolute best in this crop of new stars.

Youā€™re right that it was more due to a Medvedev capitulation, with that said the champions like Nadal never say die and ask the question to make their opponents serve it out.

At the least Iā€™m backing Auger-Aliassime, Shapovalov and Zverev (when he sorts out his mental woes) to all be better than Medvedev in the years to come. Funny thing about Theim is that although clay is his best surface he may win his first slam on the hard courts now that heā€™s figuring it out.

All the guys youā€™ve mentioned have stated to challenge the big three, however, they need to bring it to the majors . But since its best of five itā€™s a whole different kettle of fish entirely. Still donā€™t see these young guys winning a major in 2020 outside of Theim.

Thomas Berdych call time on his career due to injury. Never managed a slam but consistently top 10, made the last 4 of all 4 majors and 640 ATP match wins is still an impressive career.

Federer takes set 1 against Novak.

Federerā€™s win vs Djokovic confirms Nadal will end the season as the World no 1.

1 Like

I think Nadal will take great confidence from the fact that he beat Djokovic to World #1. But what would make it even better is if he could finally win the ATP Tour Final.

1 Like

Nadal beats Tsitsipas in a tight 3 setter but has wait and see if Medvedev does him a favour. If Medvedev wins the SF are Thiem vs Tsitsipas and Nadal vs Federer. If Zverev beats Medvedev, then the SF are Tsitsipas vs Federer and Thiem vs Zverev.

Sadly Federer couldnā€™t back up his performance from the game against Djokovic. The final is Thiem vs Tsitsipas which is world no 5 vs world no 6, so it has been an interesting tournament. Everyone has lost a match in the tournament and the only player unable to record a win was Medvedev, most interesting tour finals I can remember in a while.

And itā€™s the Greek that wins it, coming from behind. Havenā€™t watched the game cause it was too late in the night here and I only prefer to watching the dross that Arsenal puts out that late :gabriel:.

Anyway, great week for Tsitsipas. Beating Medvedev, Federer, Zverev and Theim should do serve him well next season in the majors. Only he needs to do it in 5 sets, which looks like the biggest issue with Gen Next players right now. I think we will see a new grand slam winner next year.

1 Like

I wanted to see Thiem win, but canā€™t really complain with Tsitsipas as heā€™s an exciting young talent. To go from Next Gen champion to ATP tour finals champion in the space of 12 months is massive.

Epic Tie between Australia and Great Britain at the ATP cup, I must say I wasnā€™t sure how this format would go but itā€™s appearing to be a huge success.

Australian open begins today, I wonder if one of the younger blokes can win a breakthrough maiden slam. Or will it just be your usual suspects continuing to dominate the sport ?

The latter I believe, donā€™t think itā€™s their time yet because these greats are still great.

Djokovic looked imperious against Nadal in the ATP Cup and unless heā€™s seriously off I canā€™t see someone taking him down.

1 Like

Barty is playing pretty average tennis, canā€™t see her winning the AO from what Iā€™ve seen tonight.

Konta knocked out of her home grand slam in the first round :woozy_face:

Disappointed to see Felix Auger- Alliassime go out 1st rd, bloke is a future top 5 player imo.

Itā€™s ok, you have Katie :heart_eyes:

Katie Boulter?