Other Clubs' Transfers

He’s not top class but he’s not “trash” either. I get why people would want to sell him and he is one of few players we have who’d make us some money. But there has been zero talk of him going anywhere and Emery seems to like him. I’d be amazed if we get rid. Besides, we have so many other holes to fill, it’s silly to dig ourselves another one.

I am no fan of Xhaka but I think we can make do with one more season.
That said we have to find someone who displaces him & does a better job at it.

Lol! Did you think we were getting tim? :xhaka2:

I agree.
I can’t see many players leaving.
I think Xhaka and Mkhitayran will stay, as Emery seems to like them, and possibly even Mustafi, as he’s more than decent cover for a top quality CB.

I think there will be more to spend than the rumoured 40m, because last summer we didn’t have a net spend of that much, and we tend to spend big every other window.
So the fact that we need a CB, winger and Ramsey replacement means the next one should see us get at lest two or three top class players rather than the cheap bargains we saw when Emery started here.

If we could get decent transfer fees for players like Chambers and Elneny and get older players like Monreal off the wage bill, Emery could easily afford a CB and winger.

No :wink:

1 Like

Some of our fans seemed quite happy to bumble along till summer and save money for the summer window.
Think it was easier to give January a miss as none of the other teams bought at that time. Reality and meltdown will hit though when the Dybala of this world join rivals and where fucking about in the bargain basement.
Seriously could put our possible top 4 positioning into a different light. Need real targets this summer as this could be a decisive moment in defining us as a club now.
Need to be aiming for much more than CL also ran status. Last 5 years we have been downward road to stagnation road and accelerating to mediocrity.
Hope to hell this board has a plan of action thats relevant to todays game.

1 Like

Mustafi starting?

Wrong MADNESS!

Our board has never had a plan of action, or any plan come to that.

They sell our best players, then watch us stagnate, they then dither over every decision while we drift along aimlessly, and then when it looks like they have got to make a decision, they dither a bit more, and we fall further behind all the clubs that are decisive and ambitious.

Occasionally we might buy a very good player, usually because he is cheap and no other club is bidding against us, but still ignore the positions we are desperate in.

There is no plan with our board.
There is no action, just reaction.
So when things are so bad, and they have to do something, it’s usually too little and too late.

We haven’t sold any of our best players since RVP so this line is not relevant anymore. Getting rid of Sanchez was a consequence of his refusal to commit to a new contract and it’s proven a blessing in disguise. He’s dire and at the very least in Mkhitaryan we’ve managed to secure a reasonable talent in return.

Ramsey is another player who’s contract is running down and that was a decision made by the player who clearly wanted to move on despite all the PR attempts from his team to make it out like he genuinely wanted to stay.

1 Like

Since we sold RVP, it’s not as if we have had many world class players to sell anyway, and at the time we sold Sanchez he was arguably the best player in the PL and one of the best in Europe,
We didn’t get rid of him, he left because of our lack of investment in players similar to his level.

As it’s turned out, we have a decent player in Mkhitayran, and Sanchez hasn’t repeated the form he had for us, but it wasn’t planned that way.

As for Ramsey, that situation is a complete mess and shows how incompetent our board is.
We have lost one of our best players for nothing and that shouldn’t be happening to a top club.

1 Like

Sanchez was shit in his last few months and infuriating (despite his numbers) the season before. I was glad when he left.

And he didn’t leave because of a lack of investment he left because there was a club willing to give him a contract of around £500k a week for 3-4 years. He left for money. Sanchez didn’t care where he went.

Shane we didn’t bit for Benatia. Would have been great along with Papa.

I’d rather we signed Benatia than Sokratis to begin with but I think adding Benatia to an already old defence (with Kosh and Sokratis 30+) would have been poor planning.

Should have signed Sokratis and De Ligt last year and sold Moose =)

140m net spend this season

1 Like

say what?

Yeah, because that worked out well in the past. Right? :wink:

And then there was one…

De Ligt/Barcelona rumours are still buzzing around. Seems like Umtiti is going to be available this summer, but he is so injury-prone.

I think there is a lot of margin to improve without signing a centre midfielder. Let’s also not forget Torreira is 23 years old and Guendouzi is still 19(!). Margins for top four are always going to be small anyway. So I think Arsenal is going to be able to compete.

It’s not that I would agree with their, possible, choice of not signing a centre midfielder. Defenders and a winger have more priority.

In terms of flogging players, we should try to get rid of: Xhaka, Mustafi, Iwobi, Chambers, Elneny.

Expiring in summer: Cech, Welbz, Monreal, Ramsey, Lichsteiner, Jenks

That’s goto be 450k a week in wages freed up. Before any sales.

So we at least need: CB, RB, LB. Unless we give Monreal 12 months, which I’d be in favour of.