Steven N'Zonzi

Realistically, this is how Emery has usually played, with two CMs that don’t contribute a lot offensively but provide a platform for the attacking players by maintaining positional and tactical discipline.

I would rather we buy a younger player that will be a cornerstone for the future, rather than a player who is only likely to play at a high level for a couple more years.

But if its N’Zonzi or Xhaka/Elneny/AMN in the CM pairing with Torreira (who I assume will force his way into the starting 11 eventually), then N’Zonzi is an upgrade in my opinion.

3 Likes

If Emery is genuinely interested in N’Zonzi then surely one of Xhaka or Elneny will have to go because I presume N’Zonzi would partner Toreirra in midfield.

Tbh I’d happily trade either of Elneny or Xhaka for N’Zonzi, Elneny in particular has no business playing at this level.

We did with Torreira.

We definitely need a dribbly/dynamic attacking player, but if it’s between that and N’Zonzi, N’Zonzi is more essential if Emery’s system is to work in the least. Going into the season with Xhaka, Torreira, and Ramsey as nailed on starters is too risky; given Ramsey’s injury record, Torreira’s unprovenness, and Xhaka’s Xhakaness, it means you’ll almost always be playing with either one of Elneny/AMN starting or with one or two players (or three, in the worst case) who aren’t at the required level.

Xhaka is nearly 26 now and what has he got to show for it in terms of his style and ability impact games?

When we signed him I honestly expected the second coming of Xabi Alonso. My mistake

3 Likes

Guess ww would use a 4-2-3-1 formation, then. Lucas and N’zonzi to play in front of our defence.

Haha.

Xhaka’s gonna Xhaka

Just wish he was one of the departures, but with his contract zero chance of that… would have been awesome to get someone like Kovacic and Nzonzi on top of Torreira, resign Ramsey… get rid of Xhaka and El Neny and let AMN get some minutes in cups, etc…

AMN should be a nailed on starter in Europa League group stage. Let’s see if Emery doesn’t waste a golden chance to develop some youngsters as Wenger did.

2 Likes

Maitland-Niles started like eight games in the Europa League last season.

As a wing-back. Except for one. Like Nelson.

I’m sorry. I clearly missed the ‘as a midfielder’-part after nailed on starter.

You didn’t, but I think you could’ve read between the lines at what I was saying with the

part. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure Emery is much of a developer anyway. Especially if N’Zonzi comes in, since we’re posting in his thread (something I really doubt with the Xhaka extension). In a 3-4-3 that ‘wing back’ role is more hybride role imo.

Of course he isn’t, which is why I said “let’s see”. Probably could’ve just as well said “let’s pray” but I’ve got a bunch of vultures waiting around to get angry at me for any negative statement I make-- can’t say I’m not trying to appease the masses!

Ehh, wing-back is an entirely different skill set than a midfielder in a pivot, which is AMN’s best position. Strong believer that midfielders, especially central ones (6s and 8s), need to be played there to develop properly. It’s a very pure skillset that needs to be highly refined to function at the highest level.

Probably lesser the case with a mediapunta (attacking midfielder) type player like Nelson, but not much, receiving the ball and making positive actions in the space between the penultimate and last line is also an extremely different skillset than that used as a wing-back, as is demonstrated by Ox’s success in that position and his failure in the other.

Yeah I have no issue with that - I still think he has a chance to make it and would be nice if he got some opportunities in a big European competition.

Well, not sure this applies to the group stage of Europa :grimacing: But yeah.

1 Like
1 Like

What’s Emery’s track record like in terms of giving young player’s decent game time?