Squad Management

Yeah. It would be great though if we can poach a young U20 left back and who can learn under Tierney. He is after all the second best left back in the world. :wink:

Do you think we’ve got a chance with Odegaard? For some reason I think there are 2 Bundesliga clubs not named Bayern who will go for him. And they will have the funds to buy him because they’ll be selling some of their key assets.

1 Like

Looking at some stat comparisons and it’s actually shocking how much more Dani Ceballos does on a football pitch than any of these doods. Dani is an elite ball progressor his numbers are off the charts compared to these doods, not only passing and carrying but also into very dangerous areas. He’s also involved in more defensive actions than Bissouma and Soumare. Think it’s a mistake letting him leave.

1 Like

Yeah I’m hoping we bring him back again permanently for a nice deal. If not, Guen is our best bet at a replacement so we can keep the powder dry for Ødegaard

2 Likes

But he can’t even run like an athlete.

Looking at some stat comparisons I’m pretty sure Mustafi had elite metrics at times and he’s stinking up the joint at Schalke after stinking up the joint at Arsenal.

Xhaka looks like the man in some state comparisons too.

Dani has his strengths but he’s every inch the kind of midfielder who will end up playing his trade at a Spanish teams that hovers around the Europa League spots.

It’s difficult to look at 2 seasons of Ceballos and pick out more than a handful of games where he looked real good.

Maybe he’s better than he’s shown but ultimately I don’t think he’s done close to enough to warrant a permanent investment.

4 Likes

His best period is definitely in our late run last season. He was great, not Xhaka great but still.
This season he’s very hot and cold. I think the best word to describe him is “unreliable”. In comparison to Elneny, at least you know what you get with Mo(even if that’s still not great).

Speaking of those two, what a terrible pair Ceballos and Elneny are. Some of our worst performances ever when those two played together.

I’m a Ceballos believer but agree that after two seasons it’s not a smart to pay €30+ million and not look at other options. If Real let’s him go for (a lot) less than that signing him is a no-brainer though.

Given our other needs, I have difficulty imagining us spending 20m+ on two different CMs this summer. So if we buy Ceballos permanently, that pretty much means our central midfield options stay the same and Xhaka keeps starting every match. We should really be using that money to take a shot at somebody who might displace Xhaka in the starting eleven eventually and who brings something different to our options, especially some more threat in the final third.

I’m both these cases if u know what ur looking at, no they aren’t overly impressive.

Pretty damning for Heccy B

3 Likes

Good piece on how busy we’ll be in the summer, just on the people who’ll return from loan. There’s probably more as I think they missed Kola.

I really don’t think we need many upgrades, just to use our current resources much better. Of course Mikel isn’t going to learn but under a new manager, we have plenty to finish top 6 and push top 4.

The absolute needs are a backup LB which could be had for free a couple doods are out of contract this summer that we can get, and probably an attacking mid maybe bring back Odeegard on another loan. Those can be done for cheap.

We don’t need a new RB. Sell Bellerin and have our new manager who’s hopefully a likeable man, explain to AMN why he needs to play as a RB and get him on board.

Guendo/Willock/Torreira >>> Xhaka/Elneny

Saliba/Gabriel >>>> Holding/Mari

Martinelli >>>>> Willian

It’s actually shocking that Arteta can’t figure this shit out on his own, im fully confident that anyone who isn’t a forehead #1 dirt pounder EU is going to identify this and make these changes.

-------------------Leno-----------------
AMN—Saliba—Gabriel—Tierney
---------Partey---------Guendo-------
Pepe/Saka—Øde—ESR/Martinelli
--------------------Auba------------------

That already is a top 4 - 6 squad without making any crazy buys. We’ve got so many useful players out on loan that if used properly and coached well could improve our team a lot.

5 Likes

We are not going to see any major investment into the squad unless the club suddenly shows a lot of ambition.

Lack of European games and revenue would mean we have to make do with what we have.
The ruthlessness Arteta is talking about is only concerned with outgoing, we won’t be able to entice a big player to join us next season.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true tbh. We spent big on Pepe and Partey and they were both big coups at the time without CL football. Every year we’re without CL, and now european football altogether, it gets more difficult, but I still think we have some pull.

2 Likes

Thing is we’ve never been this far off, like we were at least in the EL and there was genuine hope and belief that we would be back in the Top 4. Not sure anyone thinks that now unless the manager is changed.

1 Like

We signed Bergkamp in a season we weren’t in Europe

3 Likes

I just hope Arteta doesn’t get rid of decent players like Guendouzi, Willock, Saliba, etc, and replace them with more Chelsea rejects.
We have several under performing players that could easily work well with a new manager and to trust Arteta with another transfer window would be foolish.

3 Likes

Put similar in the wishlist thread yesterday

2-3 good signings, under a new manager :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

We are way short of a squad capable of competing on a sustainable level. Can right next season off outside of anything more than an outside chance of Europa League.
If nothing happens at ownership or boardroom level forget it.

3 Likes

I really believe this, the squad isn’t terrible at all.

We just need to land on a competent coach

4 Likes