Squad Management

We are not going to see any major investment into the squad unless the club suddenly shows a lot of ambition.

Lack of European games and revenue would mean we have to make do with what we have.
The ruthlessness Arteta is talking about is only concerned with outgoing, we won’t be able to entice a big player to join us next season.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is true tbh. We spent big on Pepe and Partey and they were both big coups at the time without CL football. Every year we’re without CL, and now european football altogether, it gets more difficult, but I still think we have some pull.

2 Likes

Thing is we’ve never been this far off, like we were at least in the EL and there was genuine hope and belief that we would be back in the Top 4. Not sure anyone thinks that now unless the manager is changed.

1 Like

We signed Bergkamp in a season we weren’t in Europe

3 Likes

I just hope Arteta doesn’t get rid of decent players like Guendouzi, Willock, Saliba, etc, and replace them with more Chelsea rejects.
We have several under performing players that could easily work well with a new manager and to trust Arteta with another transfer window would be foolish.

3 Likes

Put similar in the wishlist thread yesterday

2-3 good signings, under a new manager :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

We are way short of a squad capable of competing on a sustainable level. Can right next season off outside of anything more than an outside chance of Europa League.
If nothing happens at ownership or boardroom level forget it.

3 Likes

I really believe this, the squad isn’t terrible at all.

We just need to land on a competent coach

4 Likes

There was always a sense that Arsenal is outside the Top 4 as a temporary lapse rather than a permanency, because other clubs like Chelsea, United etc have always bounced back into Top 4.

We have now firmly established ourselves in a long transition period where any semblance of CL football will take minimum of two seasons.

We can still get players but at an inflated cost with tons of exit clauses embedded which will hamper us financially in an already hampered finances.

I am afraid we are in a very sticky position now with incompetent bunch of executives in charge to create some genius.

5 Likes

I think the difference is we were signing these kinds of players (throw Auba in there too) with the idea that we were still in touching distance of the CL and just needed the extra boost that players like this would give to get us back there. People were even tipping us for top 4 shout last year with our new found winning mentality and a manager who could win in big games. Nobody is going to be tipping us for that this time around.

Right now we’re not on the cusp of being a CL team and there’s no reason to believe in this club other than on past reputation which is getting further and further away.

We may have got Partey last year, but all he really showed was that joining Arsenal is a mistake.

3 Likes

I agree, I don’t know what Arteta does that puts good players off but he either falls out with them or turns them into average players.

Partey and Gabriel looked decent when they first arrived but as soon as Arteta got his hands on them they lost form.

Being mid table is bad enough but watching boring, predictable football, while ruining talented players careers, is something else.

How is he going to attract any top level player here?
Any potential player who we’re after is going avoid coming here after seeing so many players lose form under Arteta.

2 Likes

It’s very hard to see even if we have a decent season next season and make a couple of good additions as to how we’ll come above either Manchester, a better Liverpool and Chelsea next season.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like there’s an actual fire sale going on at the club so I’m sure it got some thinking of how many players we will sell and how much we can make out of them.

Gonna put some names from the senior team here that could potentially leave.
I will list if I would keep/sell/loan. You can put a potential fee for them if you want.

You can use the list as a template to post yours.

GKs:

• Leno : Sell : 25m
  • Runarsson : Loan

Defenders:

• Bellerin : Sell : 15m
  • Holding : Keep
  • Mari : Sell : 10m
  • Chambers : Keep
  • Cedric : Sell : 5m
  • Saliba : Keep
  • Mavropanos : Sell : 10m
  • Kolasinac : Sell : 5m

Midfielders:

• Elneny : Keep
  • Xhaka : Sell : 20m
  • Guendouzi : Sell : 15m
  • Torreira : Sell : 10m
  • Maitland-Niles : Sell : 15m
  • Willock : Keep

Forwards:

• Lacazette : Sell : 10m
  • Pepe : Keep
  • Willian : Sell : Free
  • Nketiah : Sell : 10m
  • Nelson : Loan

=> 150m made in sales.
Doubt I’ve seen a club sell in such volume and make such profit before but who knows. Maybe we’ll pull it off. :man_shrugging:

I agree with most of those but if we’re getting a quality replacement for Bellerin, I would keep Cedric because Chambers is better as cover for CB but is still useful for RB as well.

I would sell Holding, Mari and Mavro because we have enough average CB’s and we need quality rather than quality.

If we’re only getting 10m for Lacazette, it might be worth keeping hold of him for this season and then getting a decent striker when he leaves.

I would definitely keep Leno, if he wants to stay, and sell Runarsesen.

1 Like

There’s 21 players there average as fuck. You don’t have to be pro Arteta to see it’s woeful and fanciful thinking the depths was there for top 4 this season.
Yeah the first 14 games were fucked up. No I don’t buy every aspect of the Christmas form either.
It’s undeniable looking at this lot and yeah some are on loan that we have or had a chance with this shower.

4 Likes

We won’t get a transfer fee for Kola, just a free and the relief of his wages cleared. Also think Mari and Cedric are staying cause of the long term deals they signed fairly recently.

I’d sell Willock whilst his value his high, and AMN too unless he wanted to give RB another go. Torreira is 99% gone surely.

I’d rather keep Guen and sort the differences out than sell him for a shitty fee tbh, he still has talent but obviously his attitude is shitty; it’s also the reason we were able to get him cheaply in the first place, now it’s backfiring against us.

Xhaka stays unless we get north of 20m and have a good replacement lined up.

When you see the squad listed as such it really does take away your optimism heading into next season, fuck it’s a lot of dross.

6 Likes

It really does. Which is why taking a risk on a couple of gems won’t cut it.
I was watching this before the final, coincidentally they did a similar thing to what I did and it can really depress you about the state of this club,

Really, a window of Aarons, Bissouma, Buendia and Edouard won’t cut it.
Maybe Buendia has a masterclass of a season, but will that be enough?
Precisely why we need ready made world-class signings at RB, RCB and CM, or at least in 2 of those positions.

You see, the difference between Arsenal and the other teams above us is that they’re signing players to push them on to win the league or Champions league.
We’re signing players and hope we somehow make it back to the Champions League.

3 Likes