Space Thread

The ultimate Christmas gift for us geeks :nerd_face:

Too much can go wrong, Iā€™m just nervous lol first the launch, then the unfolding which will take weeks and canā€™t be fixed manually. If all that works out then the remote mirror calibrations have to work which will take months to set up. Na Iā€™m just nervous lol

1 Like

:pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like
3 Likes

Any space for dummies type podcastā€™s anyone could recommend? Not YouTube, want something for when Iā€™m running.

1 Like
3 Likes

So the stupid telescope unfolded successfully which was quite the delicate task where a myriad of things could go wrong but didnā€™t. Itā€™ll keep travelling for another couple of weeks until it reaches roughly where itā€™s supposed to be.

There itā€™ll more or less orbit itā€™s own arse and stare at some star for several months, as aligning the 18 primary mirrors to look at the exact same shit take forever when they move at the speed a blade of grass grows.

Assuming it doesnā€™t fuck that up on the first try it then has to spend a month or two calibrating the rest of the crap you donā€™t care about and if it doesnā€™t fuck those up either we can maybe get cool pictures by summer :+1:

9 Likes

Amazing that weā€™ll be able to see images from millions of miles away and yet I canā€™t get a fucking decent phone signal from within my house.

1 Like

Exactly canā€™t believe people lap this shit up :rofl:

1 Like
1 Like

These images are beautiful. especially love the carina nebula one.

7 Likes

Yeah I like the picture of NGC 3132:

the picture is cool because how much better it is than what we had on it, like this hubble version:

Itā€™s a neat thing happening there, two stars about 2k ly away where a once big star has blown off its outer layers nearing the end of its life and what you see there is just a massive ā€œexplosionā€ expanding at like 15 km/s but in what appears as slow-mo due to the scale of the thing.

Now you can see (especially in the old pic) that there is a small star (little dot) NE of the big star, that small star is actually the one that pushed out its shells causing the nebula and itā€™s tiny now afterwards, it just has a big buddy next to it by coincidence which is the bright star you see which will probably also eject its shit later at some point. the two are locked in rotation which affects the expulsion geometry, which is why the whole nebula looks eggshaped and weird.

I also like the pics of Stephanā€™s Quintet they took because of how incredibly detailed it is. I once during a course got to remote-control the Nordic Optical Telescope on La Palma for a few days for some project, and the last day we had some time left over and we all used it to just take likeā€¦ 30 min exposure pictures of random shit in the universe we were curious about :sweat_smile: and one of the pics I took was of Stephanā€™s Quintet.

Safe to say it didnā€™t look this good :santi: But to see the difference in quality makes me pretty excited about the pictures theyā€™ll take later on.

Especially if they crank up the exposure time. These JWST pictures were like 12h exposure or something (probably half a day). Hubbleā€™s thiccest deep field images were likeā€¦ 3 weeks, which took 6 weeks to take since they only collect light half of the day when the thing is orbiting in the same half of the sky as the thing itā€™s looking at, the other half of the day itā€¦ points the other way lol So it makes you wonder how fucking awesome JWST images will be if they decided to do likeā€¦ week long exposures.

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/live/cEPOwd_Mz_I?feature=share

Live stream of the Japanese about to put a lander on the moon

There we are

1 Like

Looks like it might have failed

yeah :confused:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got into this sort of stuff recently, liste ing to podcasts to both debunk and prove that aliens exist.
With the recent stuff from David Grusch, then thereā€™s Bob Lazaar and various other bits, even if itā€™s all bullshit I find it all really fascinating.

1 Like