Sokratis Papastathopoulos

Which they could still do with a loan move. Not ideal, but if we could send Sokratis on loan, even if we have to cover some of his salary, would still get some of the wages off the books. He’d still be a free agent next summer. And he’d get playing time and we wouldn’t have to pay 100% of his wages and not register him.

Papa has good connections with Marinakis, Forest’s owner.
I wonder if he would mind a loan deal till January and then re-evaluate the situation once the window re-opens.

Really got shafted by Napoli.
Could have gone elsewhere if not hung around by Napoli. Now stuck for 3 months without playing time.

Didn’t expect him willing to go to Turkey. They must be offering him the same wages we do.

4 Likes

Fuck this guy was a bad profile sighing for 16 million quid + the wages he was on.

9 Likes

6 Words:

Jonny Evans Three Point Five Million.

12 Likes

why not? Playing for Fenerbahce in Tukey is a great spot, good wages and level plus its close to home I guess

Greeks and Turks aren’t the closest of friends.
Although, there have been a few Greek players over the years that joined the Süper Lig despite of that.

2 Likes

Wasn’t aware of that angle tbh

1 Like

You will find that Greek and Turkish culture is very similar and in many ways the two peoples are alike.

Their main difference is religion. Which politicians in both nations exploit to influence those susceptible to it. Those on the west coast of Turkey and a pocket near the border with Georgia are often of Greek descent (generations back).

Papa going to Fenerbahçe is good for him. I always liked the guy when he played for us.

2 Likes

I fucking glad I didn’t have his surname on an Arsenal shirt , you would need shoulders like Arnie or Dorian Yates ( one for the body builders ) plus it would cost you an arm and a leg
COYG

1 Like

Absolutely, there are multiple areas in London that are filled with Greeks, Cypriots and Turks and they’re on good terms.

1 Like

Hopefully this is true…good sign that at the start of the window we have got rid of two players with no future at the club. Shows that Edu has been working hard behind the scenes. If we can shift Mustafi as well this window we’ve done well…can’t see Ozil leaving, but who knows!

Don’t even start. He would have been a total disaster here. Did he exceed expectations at Leicester? Absolutely. Would he have looked half as solid playing in our suicidal system? Not a chance.

1 Like

:ginger:

2 Likes

Papa was probably our best pure defender and one of the only doods on our team capable of defending in a back 4. Not what our managers wanted tho he was bought for Wenger and he woulda done very well under him.

4 Likes

Was he registered or not? I forget

Wenger was sacked 2 years too late.

1 Like

Has it been covered as to why he fell out of favour so quickly under Arteta?

3 Likes

Your very kind.

2 Likes