Sokratis Papastathopoulos

fair - I don’t see how three starting defenders can be dismissed - it has all sorts of implications, even if they aren’t very good. We have Xhakalamity playing CB in last game FFS… that is a disaster and unbalances us in so many ways. You could see how it discombobulated us in the game, which is why I don’t put too much stock in that ONE game - losing 2 defenders (when you are already compromised there) DURING the game is a joke.

I agree we have tons of issues - but the table doesn’t lie over this sample size… like I said, we were favorites for 5th/6th at start, now probably same but with much smaller chance of 4th. Also, we were doing better as a team before Holding went down and we had the series of injuries from there… correlation doesn’t mean causation, but I don’t know any team in the league that can withstand 3-4 long-term injuries in defense, NOT replace any, and then carry on regardless.

I reckon we went from maybe 20-25% chance to 5% - that is gigantic drop.

Well reasoned response tbf. Really hard to accept that a defender has not been top of rhe list all month. Can only think we are nowhere near sorting out the direction the board wants to go in yet.

The key damage was already done after the Holding/Sokratis partnership got broken up imo

Koscielny/Sokratis has potential too, now we’re going to have to watch half a dozen games of whingey McBumface and the BTEC John Cena

Monreal seemingly not rated by the manager if he’d rather drop Xhaka into defence

1 Like

Holding was a massive loss for us…such shame as was playing really well with Sokratis. Sokratis will be ok and personally I’d play Mavropanos alongside him for the rest of the season over Mustafi.

Can’t believe the rumour about Juve being interested in Mustafi…I’d pay them to take him off our hands.

1 Like

For those of you who have thought Sokratis was a big problem for us, watch what happens now when he isn’t there.

I agree…really like Sokratis. a very good solid signing for us and we will miss him if he is out for any length of time - hopefully reports are right and he won’t be out for too long. Loved it the other week when he celebrated a good tackle like a goal.

1 Like

Just great. Our typical luck with the injuries :xhaka:

This is in my head now ffs :joy:

3 Likes

Love it!

Back in training.

5 Likes

:syringe: :pill: :syringe: :pill:

Finally jumped on the doping bandwagon, woo!

7 Likes

What a fast recover! Get in!

1 Like

Xhaka looks like he’s marking him to take him out again.

1 Like

:back: :on: :top:

4 Likes

Turning into Baresi due to Mustafi selection. Arsenal fans do this every time we get injuries. Maintain he is bang average.

2 Likes

Seems like people are just happy about having one of our better centre halves back from injury soon, rather than overrating his ability and making out he’s some sort of defensive God. I think you’re possibly reading too much into this

I think you’re right, but one of our CB’s being a bang average for most clubs, means he is world class for us.

I can’t think of a single defender we have that the word reliable could be used to describe them.

1 Like

Bang average is about 6 levels above whatever Mustafi is

1 Like

Sokratis is overrated by a portion of Arsenal fans due to how bad most of our options are. It’s good he is back early from injury though as he’s arguably our best CB.

Yeah but hes better than Mustafi haha. Very small win for us here…