Rob Holding

Welcome to the arsenal Rob!

1 Like

Iā€™m very curious to see him.

Lets just hope Wenger doesnā€™t try and turn him into a holding player.

1 Like

I donā€™t think he will. His natural position is CB. Iā€™m thinking Arseneā€™s long term plan is to have an English CB pairing of Chambers and Holdingā€¦this guy could be an absolute steel given the price we have paid for him. Good bit of business IMO,

1 Like

I wonder if this is the club trying to make up for missing out on players like Chris Smalling and Gary Cahill and etc. They were both (at one point) up and coming English defenders and we were interested in both according to articles I remember reading in 2010 and 2011 but we couldnā€™t close either deal.

I think it has to do with the homegrown rule more than anything.

Heā€™s highly rated, fee is similar to that paid for Stones when at Barnsley and theyā€™re not dissimilar as players.

A bit of both if anything.

2 Likes

Really the only way to ruin this is to throw him to the wolves right away. Iā€™d like to see him get bedded in first before that happens.

I realize it is the preseason and against lower competition (MLS All-Stars) but Holding looks pretty good and composed out there. Might turn out to be a gem of signing, especially for the price.

2 Likes

How did he do?

I get the feeling that, and itā€™s nothing against him, but if he plays well throughout preseason that Wenger and Arsenal might change their tune on adding another CB. Good and bad points can be had here, but Iā€™ve still not seen anything to suggest where Holding stands in our squad? Apart from the low number (16, could mean nothing) he may well be considered first team at this point. I donā€™t even think Wenger knows just yet.

Regardless, Iā€™d like to see him improve more and more without worrying about such situations, Wenger gets paid millions to sort that part out!

It was the first time Iā€™ve seen him play, and I have to confess to being pleasantly surprised. Iā€™m so jaded when it comes to our younger signings, but Rob actually seems to be a pretty decent defender.

1 Like

Bad giveaway early, but made up for it with a goal after a nice pass from Chambers. Looks like a much better player than his transfer fee would suggest.

1 Like

Not enough puns in this thread.

Yep. I feel Robbed.

4 Likes

Take a bow son! He immediately scored for us :smiley:

Weā€™ve been Holding out for finishing like that since the Invincibles days.

1 Like

Iā€™m dying to make a horrible pun here but without the " :happy: " emoticonā€“nor, in a much more indignation provoking matter, the Diaby oneā€“from the old forum I just feel it wouldnā€™t be the same. :confused:

Iā€™m ready to bet: he will start ahead of Chambers and Gabriel against Liverpool.

2 Likes

Hopefully. I just hope we stick with him if he shows flashes.

1 Like

Certainly a debut he wonā€™t forget in a hurry. Completely chucked in at the deep end.

5 Likes