RIP John Motson

Fast forward 40 years and Sam Matterface won’t be getting these accolades I’m thinking.

For me - I put his voice along side Barry Davies as most iconic commentary voices of my childhood

2 Likes

I edge towards Davies over Motson. Just.

1 Like
2 Likes

Listening to some of his commentary, it’s just hit me how much his voice meant to me.

Like a family member almost - it’s sound is seared into my brain from years of watching football and playing FIFA.

So weird. Didn’t realise how much his voice meant to me.

2 Likes

Some of these ex commentators like him and Davies would of made quite interesting pundits at times.
Especially during world cups as such.

2 Likes

I’d agree with that. I still view Davies commentary on Maradona goal as some of the best ever. So simple but just such a classy commentator.

1 Like

This is genuinely sad news. RIP Motty.

1 Like
4 Likes

One of the best games in International football that game.
Got really caught up in this one Motty.

2 Likes

Was it a final or something?

Semi final of the 84 Euros.

3 Likes

this guys voice is football for me, RIP to an absolute legend

4 Likes

“Lovely to meet you John”
“Mr Motson to you”.

An exchange by the buffet at a wedding some 20 years ago.

RIP though, his knowledge educated millions, there’s no doubt we’ve lost a football legend.

2 Likes

An icon of English football. Will be sorely missed. RIP Motty :pray:

1 Like

Thankfully his voice was spared trying to explain VAR anomalies.

So many commentators and colour men now that they become a sort of homogenised interchangeable mish-mash. But guys like John Motson had an instantly recognisable style about them that made them stand out. Add to that the degree of knowledge gained over a period of years without the aid of stats guys in tow armed with laptops feeding every snippet of info.
R.I.P. John Motson.

3 Likes

Great piece of commentary for such an iconic goal and celebration

2 Likes
7 Likes