Reiss Nelson (24)

The rest of our business obviously plays a huge part in determining this tbh but I lean towards good decision for now.

5 Likes

Wrong for the player. Wrong for the club. Fringe players are youngsters.
Donā€™t want him and Elneny types not challenging for the first team.
Itā€™s not depth for me if your not good enough to start.

2 Likes

Wrong for the player. Good for the club(I think).

Only concern I have is that heā€™s a bit of a sick note. Heā€™s turned out one of the most useful squad players we have had this season. Perhaps this says a lot about the rest of the squad but thatā€™s where we are at the moment.

Anyway, no excuses for Edu and co. now. Saved money on recruiting a winger. Gotta go big on midfield now.

We couldnt afford the same type of player to come in and replace him along with everything else we want to do
This is the best financial option, and with games he will get better

4 Likes

Honestly, I wouldnā€™t mind him starting over Trossard on Sunday.

2 Likes

Yep. Domestic cup starts at most.

Yep, or even Saka! Give him a break man lol

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1662027180891598849?s=46&t=AXaXFdGpC85RzXwk6DBMgA

1 Like

Wrong for the player ā€” at 23 years old, you really should be starting games if youā€™re serious about making it in the Premier League in 2023. The chances of him starting ahead of Saka/Martinelli/Trossard is almost zero unless there are injuries and suspensions.

Arteta has shown all throughout this season that he doesnā€™t trust any of his B-options to start matches even when Star Boy is on poor form.

Good for the club ā€” Nelson was only on 35k/week; heā€™s likely on the 70-90k range now. We donā€™t have to buy a winger anymore but if an offer around the Ā£25-30m range comes in for him, we should sell. Puts us in a good position.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Teamnewsandtix/status/1661853351347093506

This guy and AFCAMDEN, it appears we have a new leak.

This guy is pretty on the money with everything Premier League related. Gets team news earlier than most.

Burner account of a journalist maybe?

Do we know who AFCAMDEN is?

Me? I donā€™t think ā€˜teamnewsandtixā€™ is connected with AFCAMDEN

EDIT: misreadā€¦AFCAMDEN is just an Arsenal fan with connections

Itā€™s unlikely heā€™s going to be a first team regular but certainly good enough as a bench player.
So if he left for nothing we would have had to replace him and giving him a new contract means we have more money to spend on our main targets this window.

Also if he has a good season, weā€™ll get a decent fee if we want to sell him.

Been around for some time. Heā€™s the one that first leaked the Rice interest, there was nothing on the matter apart from some fans wishlisting him.

He first broke the news the news on Twitter and then the following day The Times broke the news on actual news media, with The Athletic following it up.

He was also the one that first quoted the Ā£92m fee before it made it to the media.

Yer, hes been around for a while, just always wondered where he gets his info, and who is he?

Southgate has included him in the squad for two straightforward games he couldā€™ve done without. Bit of sensible decision making would have been to allow him an extended break after all the football Saka has played over the last 2-3 years. Heā€™ll be burnt out come the euros next year.

Totally agree
National team managers never seem to take that into account it seems

What Iā€™m seeing here is people using the term bench options.
Basically 20 minutes. People are just thinking starting eleven for targets.
Thatā€™s not right for me. You want a squad of 16 or so players who can start games as back ups and a hungry squad.
You end up with Nelson, Elneny, Cedric types, youā€™ll just struggle when they are needed because of injury.
Cup games alone arenā€™t enough either for fitness or being game ready.

3 Likes

Does Reiss provide a genuine rotation option that will push Saka and keep him on his toes? Unless he recreates that Forest performance on the regular, I feel like this isnā€™t a good move for anybody.

We need another forward who will really give Saka a run for his money and give us CL quality depth.

Nelson, as much as I like him, doesnā€™t raise the level of this team.

I hope we sign another big attacker still, ideally a CF which means Jesus can compete with Saka at RW. Our attack needs a fresh body there.

2 Likes