Rating the Top 4 contenders Transfer Windows and Predicting Top 4

Chelsea - The clear stand outs with Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Chilwell. They still have defensive issues with young defenders.

Liverpool - Thiago is their big signing and should strengthen their weakest area, ie creative midfield play. Jota is more about squad depth and options off the bench

City - Allot depends on how good Dias and/or turns out to be. They’ve gone for him over first choice Upamenco. I personally have no idea good these defenders. I do think their midfield needed strengthening.

United - The poorest imo. I could be proven wrong but Cavani coming to the PL as a 33yo just sounds all wrong. 35m on Van de Beek who isn’t a starter yet. They’ve also let arguably their best defender leave

Everton - transformed their midfield with James, Doucoure and Allan. Legit contenders for top 4 I think

Spurs - They’ve made Le Celso permenant and signed 2 fullbacks, which were needed.

Arsenal - Willian, Gabriel and Partey. 2 very weak areas of our spine strengthened, immensely

Leicester - no idea who there new players are tbh

So in terms of ranking transfer windows I’d go:

Chelsea
Arsenal
Everton
City
Spurs
Leicester/United

In terms of predictions for the league, I’ll go with

Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
Everton
Leicester
United

Maybe overly optimistic but I do think Arteta is making us very hard to beat, with 9 out 12 points so far and Partey should only re-inforce that. We now have a very strong spine. United look in freefall and even City may do worse than last season having lost Silva and Kompany in consequtive seasons with Fernandinho past his best and Rodrigo not being a good enough replacement. Chelsea I think will score plenty but concede allot. Mourinho will make Spurs hard to beat and they clearly still have a quality attack.

3 Likes

Whilst I think we’ve had a pretty good window, I think Everton’s window was better when you look at the bigger picture. They really nailed bringing in quality in all the areas they need, bar GK. I think Pickford needs someone to challenge him. But they look like they can challenge anyone for scoring.

I think Partey and Gabriel were massive signings for us, but we still have too much deadwood and really could’ve used a creative mf. It’ll be interesting to see how we line up after the international break. Think we can honestly get top 4, but it won’t be easy.

Nothing is predictable this season so far. I honestly think top 4 could include any of the following: Liverpool (secure), Man City (secure) and then any of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Leicester, Everton. It will really depend on if anything normalises. I can see Man Utd finishing the lowest of all of those. Spurs are completely unpredictable. Can Everton sustain their start? Can Leicester remain consistent? But I do think the clubs listed above will all be in the top 8. Who will get CL or EL football is completely unpredictable right now. More so than ever before.

4 Likes

Spurs are a real threat to top 4 particularly with the addition of Bale. Son / Kane / Bale is really top class if they can remain fit. Hojbjerg is a big upgrade on Dier (the complete shitter). Heart of defence looks a bit average to me and their midfield is kind of functional if not spectacular. Still, Mourinho seems to be getting his message across so they should be up there.

Chelsea have the firepower on paper to achieve top 4 but their defensive issues will cost them considerably and Lampard isn’t good enough to adapt / coach the team to address this. Lack of consistency is going to rear its head again for them this season.

Everton under Ancelotti are transformed not just in terms of the personnel but the belief they have. GK is probably the poorest out of the top 4 contenders and their CBs are pretty standard but they’re organised and resolute in a way that is very unlike Everton. Legit contenders again if they can keep core players fit.

United’s morale is currently in the gutter but they have a very good front line (when on form). They shouldn’t be ruled out completely - they pulled together some great form at the back end of last season (seemingly out of nowhere) which they could conceivably do again. However, the competition is much stiffer this season and their fans are completely on the team’s back. Outsiders for sure.

City still have a very good squad and certainly good enough for top 4 even if they lost Silva + Sane. Dias will need to hit the ground running. Their first XI when all fit is the second best in the league still, and they have the best player in the league as well. Rough start but it would be incredible if they miss out on top 4.

Leicester bottled top 4 last season but they are a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. On paper, they have one of the weaker squads. Don’t see them getting into top 4 again.

I’m only confident that Liverpool will be champions again. City, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea all fighting for the other 3 spots. Far too difficult to call at this point but should be a really exciting season.

4 Likes

No mentioned of United sol. Love it!

3 Likes

Transfer Windows

Arsenal - Very good window, would’ve been perfect if someone like Buendia was also added.

Chelsea - Mixed bag window. Very offensive heavy signings. Their massive CB issue was left unaddressed and they signed too many players. Will be a tough season for them.

Spurs - Best window out of then all. Got some real quality in the areas where they were lacking while maintaining their best players.

Liverpool - Very good window. Their squad now has some solid depth to back their great first team.

City - Average window. Got some really underwhelming players in for some silly fees. Settling for Ruben Dias instead of KK doesn’t feel right yet.

Man Utd - Worst window of them all. I don’t think we need to elaborate on it.

Top 4 Predictions

1. Liverpool
  2. City
  3. Arsenal
  4. Spurs

I should mention that I think Arsenal and Spurs have absolutely the odd chance of surprising everyone this season by winning the league. Some big, big question marks over both City and Liverpool.

1 Like

Spurs having three top class forwards is definitely a concern. I do feel ours matches it though.

1 Like

After the last round of results no one is predicting a Liverpool/City surprised collapse?

I’m feeling City is a bit of a one man team for the moment while Liverpool defence will cause them major problems. I could be totally wrong though.

I also think Spurs will perform better than expected. Everyone seems to write them off and thinks Mourinho is finished. But suddenly now they have arguably the best front 3 in the league (on par with Liverpool’s I think). Harry Kane has turned into Messi with all that dropping deep and creating stuff, while I don’t know if there’s a winger duo with more pace and lethal finishing than Son and Bale.

Chelsea I think will click and score loads of goal soon. After all they finished four last season and should improve massively this season.

The only team stalling is of course United. But then we have Everton and Leicester who will pose a real threat.

Anyone thinking we should have third or fourth by default is overly optimistic due to the Partey effect.

I think Chelsea obviously had the best window and then Everton.
After that, probably us, then spurs and Leicester, with Man City not doing much and Man U doing a lot but mainly panic buys.

It’s going to be a strange season with some unusual results and the empty stadiums seem to be having an effect on the bigger clubs so it’s not impossible we could get top four but I’m still not sure we’re good enough this season, so I’ll go for:

Liverpool
Man City
Chelsea
spurs
Everton

But after that it’s a lottery between Man U, Leicester and us.
If Man U keep Solskjaer we will finish above them and Leicester will be up there as well.

If the board back Arteta in the next window, with a couple of top quality players, we can definitely challenge for the top four places.
But I haven’t seen much in the few games we’ve had to suggest we can do it and, although Partey is a good signing, I don’t think he’s going to make enough difference to get a CL place.

Also this is a pandemic season with insanely packed schedule, so expect a lot of ups and downs and freak results like last week. Our squad depth is still really poor compared to Liverpool City ans Chelsea. When fatigue kicks in and injuries pile up, we could be in deep deep trouble.

1 Like

I think remaining fit seems unlikely when you look how often Bale has played. He’s already not fit until after the international break. It could be the rest has done him good. I’m kind of hoping he’s lost a couple of yards of pace at 31 also. Still they looked very dynamic, pace all over the park and strengthened there weaknesses. Mourinho’s also brought Ndombele back into the fold, so like a new signing kind of thing

1.Liverpool
2.City
3.Arsenal
4.Tottenham

Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
City

1 Like

Arsenal
Everton
Leicester
Spurs

2 Likes

Too much love for Spurs on here. I’m not writing them off, but not convinced either. They played against a 10 man Utd whose defense is shite for 60+ minutes. They could have a lethal front 3, but Bale’s fitness is a concern. And you can never count out Mourine finding someway to screw things up as well. I do think they are a solid top 4 contender, but like us, I think there is a lot to do and prove.

1 Like

I am not convinced with our attacking players to say for sure we will end up in top 4. Too many question marks.
Will Laca find form, will Pepe become consistent, will Willian be consistent, Will Saka play enough, will Martinelli be available?

4 Likes
  1. Liverpool
  2. Man City
  3. Arsenal
  4. Everton

Not going to make any predictions for now. This season has been too weird for that to make any sense.

But in terms of squad quality I’d have Liverpool and City as the best. Spurs and Chelsea quite close to those two. United ahead of Arsenal if, and it’s a big if, Cavani is still great. If he’s finished, then I’d say that the two squads are about the same.

I don’t think Everton and Leicester are at this level.

Based on the squads and experience of the managers in their teams, my top 8 would be

1. Liverpool
  2. Man City
  3. Tottenham
  4. Arsenal/ Chelsea
  5. Chelsea/Arsenal
  6. Everton
  7. Leicester
  8. Aston Villa/ Leeds

If you add a top quality CB which Gabriel so far looks every inch to be and a top quality central midfielder we’re gonna see improvements as a team. We should be right up there and competitive in the top 4 race which will be tight again as everyone has also improved.

However we have glaring weaknesses still. At the beginning of the window i did a poll on which position people would prioritise us to improve and 73% of people on here went with creative midfield. Its a position and issue we havent fixed at all. We are terrible at creating chances, we’re currently creating less than under Emery which was also bad.

That lack of midfield to attack link is basically gonna lead to a whole season of tedius back and forth about what position is auba’s best when the reality is whether its left or central the issue of not creating chances will be the same.

The hope is this can be improved by a change of formation and moving an extra body into midfield/attack but I’m dubious because I dont think us tweaking formation against teams who just want to sit deep in a block will be some kind of light switch that changes everything.

I think we’re going to swindle a lot of points still against poor opposition although on the flip side this is currently the most confident I’ve been in a recent Arsenal side to play the big teams and get a result. I think our 11 is very well suited to playing the top sides where we can defend well, have a big midfield presence and an incredibly dangerous counter-attack to boot.

Right now I wouldnt put us top4 but who knows how all the teams are going to fare will Lampard will get his new players playing and is there a mourinho fall out round the corner etcetc.

1 Like

That happened in January, not in this transfer window.